+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon Fibre Composite cartridge spacer/isolator

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I made a solid CF spacer for a friend a few years ago. In general I wouldn't recommend spacers though.
    I agree, but Linn made the Akito in such a way that it severely limits cartridge choice, and alignment is literally impossible.

My thoughts are around that I have to space the cartridge away from the headshell, so I might as well make it an isolator.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hmm. Graphite is dense and hard. It would be interesting to know how a material with no resilience or internal losses 'damps'. It will add mass, but that is not the same thing.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    That's why I am trying a CF composite that composes of two CF sheets with a foam centre, currently weighs in at 2 grms.
    That makes sense, however it's the foam that will be doing the isolating so is there any reason to choose carbon fibre instead of something else? Is it because you happen to have some available? Any stiff and easily worked sheet material would do just as well (I think).

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Any stiff and easily worked sheet material would do just as well (I think).
    I use Tufnol or Paxolin. It works!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I agree.

That makes sense, however it's the foam that will be doing the isolating so is there any reason to choose carbon fibre instead of something else? Is it because you happen to have some available? Any stiff and easily worked sheet material would do just as well (I think).
    Weight is one benefit, I can use thicker sheets giving me a more stable, less deformable, platform for the bolts, and because of its relative density it should resonate less. So in effect additionally isolating.

Cause this is only my theory, and if it works as an isolator, that's a bonus, as its only the space I need to allow cartridge choice.

I could have just made a spacer, but why not experiment, cause I may not hear any sonic benefits, but my primary objective will be achieved.

I didn't have it lying around I bought it for this purpose

Oh and my cars made out of it and I love the look of CF.......lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12