+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power amp ideas

I'm Martin.

Linn LK100 was the recommended partnering power amp for Kabers IIRC.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Morgan.

Thanks for your replies. Linn might be the way to go then? Not overly unhappy with the sound I have now, bass could maybe be a little tighter although this might be the speakers? I'm just fed up with the dodgy input selector and volume control and as I no longer need the pre amp facility of it, time for a replacement.
    Anyone know how the AUDIOLAB 8200P sounds? If its more of the 8200CDQ then I think I'd like that.

I'm Dave.

I recommend a Quad - the best you can get your hands on given the budget.

I'm Martin.

Shame you are not closer or I could lend you some amps to try. I have an issue of HFR somewhere with a very long review of the Kabers. This was back when they came out. IIRC the bloke liked them a lot but I think he had Kans himself so you'd expect them to be better. He ended up using three Linn LK100 in a passive tri-amp configuration. Which is a bit of overkill I reckon. I've got an LK100 and it is quite meaty for a 50 watt amp. I did use to clip it on occasion, though.

Anyway like Dave says a QUAD is a safe bet, you want one of the beefy ones though, like a 606.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Philip.

Very pleased with my recently aquired quad 909.
    Great sound, small footprint, and hold their value.

I'm Morgan.

That's s very kind gesture Martin, it is a shame.
    The general opinion on other forums on amps for Kabers is a (single) Klout as a minimum in passive but I can't say my Arcam struggles driving them in my room which is quite small, or my previous larger room. I think it produces 18 amps and 140 watts into 4 ohms, will the Quad amps equal or better those specs?
    I am looking at used Quad amps and have seen an Elite stereo power within budget, are these any good? They are much smaller in size compared to the 606 and 909 types.
    Thanks again for your suggestions.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    The general opinion on other forums on amps for Kabers is a (single) Klout as a minimum in passive but I can't say my Arcam struggles driving them in my room which is quite small, or my previous larger room. I think it produces 18 amps and 140 watts into 4 ohms, will the Quad amps equal or better those specs?
    I am looking at used Quad amps and have seen an Elite stereo power within budget, are these any good? They are much smaller in size compared to the 606 and 909 types.
    Well the Klout was just a twinkle in Ivors's eye when the Kaber first came out.

You are right that the Arcam is more than sufficient on paper, they just are not the most transparent power amps around. Neither are QUAD for that matter, you might find swapping from one to the other you hear very little difference. All IMO of course. As always the only real solution is to try it.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    Yes, the Quad Elite is very good. Quad current dumper amps have improved in sound and performance over the years, with the latest being the best to my ears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12