+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power amp ideas

I'm Morgan.

Default Power amp ideas

Hi people,
    I'm looking to upgrade/replace my worn out Arcam alpha 9 integrated with a second hand power amp. The arcam has the typical crackly input selector and now the volume control too.
    AUDIOLAB 8200cdq as source with Linn Kaber speakers on the end.
    Was thinking along the lines of either an 8200p (if I can find one) or maybe a Quad 909 or Meridian 556?
    With a budget of £300 to £500 max, what opinions do you knowledgeable people have?

I'm Geoff.

Why not use Servisol switch cleaner on the Arcam and clean the controls for the time being?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Morgan.

Thumbs up

Yeah been doing that for years already

I'm Peter.

I'd highly recommend a Quad 303.....! Ibought one last week for £150 and it sounds truly excellent. 45watts into 8ohms.
    Peter McCullough Photography
    ------------------------------------------
    TRAVEL - EXPLORE - CAPTURE

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by macvisual View Post
    I'd highly recommend a Quad 303.
    They are a lovely thing to own, no question. A timeless and classic design. Unfortunately, though, I feel that their sonic performance can be bettered quite easily - and I say that with no pleasure whatsoever. I used to run Quad ESL57 loudspeakers, and a change from the Quad 303 to even something as mundane as a Rotel RB970 brought about an easily noticeable improvement in the dynamics and assurance of the musical performance. Still the best-looking amp ever, though (except maybe for the Quad 405-2).
    IB

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post

They are a lovely thing to own, no question. A timeless and classic design. Unfortunately, though, I feel that their sonic performance can be bettered quite easily - and I say that with no pleasure whatsoever. I used to run Quad ESL57 loudspeakers, and a change from the Quad 303 to even something as mundane as a Rotel RB970 brought about an easily noticeable improvement in the dynamics and assurance of the musical performance. Still the best-looking amp ever, though (except maybe for the Quad 405-2).
    IB
    +1 A classic piece of industrial design and good in its day but pretty lame by modern standards.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Paul.

You could get a pair of rotel powers with matching pre for that budget. I just like the stack of matching boxes
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm David.

As I recall, the Kabers were fussy buggers. I'd have a look at some used Linn amplification from around the same time as your Kabers, or as your suggestion, Quad or Meridian. Any of those three should work well, but your choice will depend on the sound you're looking for. The Meridians could be quite smooth, but varied. I was never overly keen on the later 500 series, and preferred (and owned at one point) their 605 monoblocks. Quad has amazing midrange, but lacking at the frequency extremes compared to many other power amps, and Linn is, well, Linn. The Linn power amps of the time all worked well with Kabers.

I'm sorted.

I'm Neil.

What sound are you looking for, what do you like, and what would you like to change? If the Kabers are indeed fussy and difficult speakers, then this changes things also & as a general rule amps that double their wattage from 8 Ohm to 4 Ohm would indicate an electrical match. I think the safe option would be a big Meridian amp because they drive pretty much everything, but there are more lively and hairshirt options out there too.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast