+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mains blocks, power strips (or whatever you want to call them) of the Schuko type.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Ken, something like this with normal MK plug and furutech connector.
    http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/d...per-metre.html
    Hi James, I have a few meters of that cable, been sat in a cupboard for a while now. It's industrial cable used in factories etc for fixed installations, picked it up off the bay for considerably less money. The reason I've not used it, is it won't fit any of my plugs, the entry holes are too small and the cable cleat wont fit, I find 10mm OD is about the maximum that you can use and some plugs wont take that. I won't pay exotic prices for plugs so it has to be something readily available. Having said that, the Chinese have latched on to this lucrative market and are starting to copy items. I saw such a copy recently on the bay, a copy of an £80 plug for £4.50 including postage from China, you probably know the type, IEC mains input plug with a transparent Blue nose and Black body.

From memory I think this cable is getting on for 14mm OD, my MIG welder uses thinner stuff.
    What's the thinking behind the 4mm square copper?
    Always willing to here a good case argued.
    My kettle draws eight times more current than my whole music system put together and that runs on 1mm square, so I'm interested if you have any information that has convinced you its worth while beefing up the leads to this extent.

"Power amps into separate wall sockets and preamp and TT from Mains block."
    I think I understand your reasoning in this approach, but it does go against what would be recommended to avoid ground loop issues, so may not work for everyone. Suck it and see situation.

You going to NEBO this time round?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Hi James, I have a few meters of that cable, been sat in a cupboard for a while now. It's industrial cable used in factories etc for fixed installations, picked it up off the bay for considerably less money. The reason I've not used it, is it won't fit any of my plugs, the entry holes are too small and the cable cleat wont fit, I find 10mm OD is about the maximum that you can use and some plugs wont take that. I won't pay exotic prices for plugs so it has to be something readily available. Having said that, the Chinese have latched on to this lucrative market and are starting to copy items. I saw such a copy recently on the bay, a copy of an £80 plug for £4.50 including postage from China, you probably know the type, IEC mains input plug with a transparent Blue nose and Black body.

From memory I think this cable is getting on for 14mm OD, my MIG welder uses thinner stuff.
    What's the thinking behind the 4mm square copper?
    Always willing to here a good case argued.
    My kettle draws eight times more current than my whole music system put together and that runs on 1mm square, so I'm interested if you have any information that has convinced you its worth while beefing up the leads to this extent.

"Power amps into separate wall sockets and preamp and TT from Mains block."
    I think I understand your reasoning in this approach, but it does go against what would be recommended to avoid ground loop issues, so may not work for everyone. Suck it and see situation.

You going to NEBO this time round?
    Hi Ken,

I am not sure of the technical reasoning behind the large 4mm copper cable but in listening tests between this cable and a standard kettle cable I get a much better depth of bass and the amp sounds more open. The cable is fitted into a furutech IEC connector and a standard MK plug. I am just trying another one on my preamp and this is now plugged into its own power socket. It is sounding very good indeed. I am only using the block connector for my Turntable but if I get another longer cable this may go into its own wall socket.

Can you let me know what is recommended to avoid ground loop issues- thanks?

Unfortunately can't make the next NEBO but will be at the following one I hope.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Can you let me know what is recommended to avoid ground loop issues- thanks?

Unfortunately can't make the next NEBO but will be at the following one I hope.
    Ground loop effects can be a complex subject, but in the most simple terms, you are trying to avoid a loop between two or more pieces of equipment. If the items are plugged into separate wall sockets, the power leads and the ring main between them form three sides of a square through the safety earth wire, if the two pieces of equipment have connected grounds through a shielded lead etc, it finishes the fourth side of the square and you have a loop circuit. This can lead to a serious mains hum through the equipment. I think you can have loops that don't include the ring main but still induce hum through the grounding paths (earth wires/chassis/shields) of the equipment forming a loop. The trick is to break any loops that exist. I'm no expert at understanding or explaining it, google it and there are lots of articles and pictures explaining the phenomenon. I've never had a problem myself, I would probably know more about it If I'd had to solve an issue.

Pity you can't make NEBO, hope you get to the next one.

Are you doing the Wigwam Show?
    Myself and Gordon (halfway tree) are exhibiting there this year, sharing a larger room (Syndicate 3), maybe see you there?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Ground loop effects can be a complex subject, but in the most simple terms, you are trying to avoid a loop between two or more pieces of equipment. If the items are plugged into separate wall sockets, the power leads and the ring main between them form three sides of a square through the safety earth wire, if the two pieces of equipment have connected grounds through a shielded lead etc, it finishes the fourth side of the square and you have a loop circuit. This can lead to a serious mains hum through the equipment. I think you can have loops that don't include the ring main but still induce hum through the grounding paths (earth wires/chassis/shields) of the equipment forming a loop. The trick is to break any loops that exist. I'm no expert at understanding or explaining it, google it and there are lots of articles and pictures explaining the phenomenon. I've never had a problem myself, I would probably know more about it If I'd had to solve an issue.

Pity you can't make NEBO, hope you get to the next one.

Are you doing the Wigwam Show?
    Myself and Gordon (halfway tree) are exhibiting there this year, sharing a larger room (Syndicate 3), maybe see you there?
    Thanks for the explanation Ken. i definitely have no hum, just silence or a bit of tube rush when I turn up my amps.

Not going to Wigwam show as I am on hols that weekend.

Catch up with you at next NEBO, maybe in the Autumn?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Ken.

I'm Kevin.

As a minor update to this thread, I have a Brennenstuhl mains block arriving next week. I should also have a Furutech e-TP60E arriving.
    It will be interesting to see if I can hear a difference between the two, with the Brennenstuhl costing more than ten times less than the Furutech.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    As a minor update to this thread, I have a Brennenstuhl mains block arriving next week. I should also have a Furutech e-TP60E arriving.
    It will be interesting to see if I can hear a difference between the two, with the Brennenstuhl costing more than ten times less than the Furutech.
    The Furutech looks rather good,their stuff is so well made. Have you sorted all your mains cables now Kev?

I'm Kevin.

The Furutech was discovered during some idle browsing at a price I could not refuse.

I am slowly working my way through the mains cables. I have two, with a third one on the way. Another two, and I think I will be done...
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The Furutech was discovered during some idle browsing at a price I could not refuse.

I am slowly working my way through the mains cables. I have two, with a third one on the way. Another two, and I think I will be done...
    I found that the mains cable I use for my power amp did not work so well with my preamp so maybe something to bear in mind. The larger gauge mains cable took away some of the finesse and nuances from the preamp and made it sound a tad muddy?

I'm Brian.

Which cable was it you used on the preamp again James ? I've forgotten again
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast