+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mains blocks, power strips (or whatever you want to call them) of the Schuko type.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Best really not too use mainsblock for power amps, they are best plugged into mains socket and in the case of monoblocks each with a good power cable preferably 4mm.
    That would be the ideal but at present I have to perform extreme yoga to reach the hidden sockets on either side of the room. Not easy with my spinal injury. They have been powered on continuously for the last month!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    That would be the ideal but at present I have to perform extreme yoga to reach the hidden sockets on either side of the room. Not easy with my spinal injury. They have been powered on continuously for the last month!
    Sorry to hear that it's difficult for you Geoff. I did my back in some time back so I know how tricky it can be unplugging stuff etc. Then maybe a really good mains block dedicated to the power amps would be best option as suggested by Marco, or two mains blocks. One for the power amps and one for the rest of your gear

I have done quite a bit of experimenting myself recently after using monoblocks and found that they certainly did not sound great with one plugged into a mains block and the other plugged into a wall socket. I put some more sockets in and a dedicated mains cable to each amp and the difference was not insignificant!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

Something like this may help? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brennenstuh...et+with+switch

If not, you can get a remote controlled block - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-T...trol+extension or individual sockets - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-R...EEMFPQZFTJ5C32
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Won't the regenerator get rid of this?
    Ah soz, didn't realise you had a regen unit. In that case ok, although the filter I linked to earlier would do a better job of sorting out the noisiest stuff. Just to clarify then, so I know exactly what you're using, could you list all your kit, which you intend to plug into the new block(s)...

Also, how many sockets does your regen unit have - and do you have any sockets connected to a dedicated mains spur? Once I know that, I'll advise you on what I'd buy and how I'd connect it all up

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

Ok, I have six sockets on a radial circuit dedicated to home entertainment. I can easily add another two.

On one double socket (the first in the circuit) I have a time switch running a battery charger for my Anker battery that powers my Caiman DAC (this comes on from 1am until 9am everyday, and is deliberately set outside of normal listening hours).
    The other socket powers my AG1500. This currently has an IEC power lead directly connected to my power amp (but this will have to change next week, as there will be two Firebottle monoblock amps here). The Schuko socket then feeds the power strip, which contains connections for the Firebottle KIN pre-amp, Graham Slee headphone amp run from a PSU1, Long Dog Audio PSU for the Techie, MJ Acoustics Pro 50 subwoofer, and finally my Pioneer PD-S703 CD player.
    All of the HiFi is run through the regenerator, as I like the convenience of being able to power it all down easily, plus it gives me a consistent power feed, and has stopped the humming toroidals in the power amps.
    At the moment, it is fed through standard Schuko kettle leads, but I have an aftermarket lead arriving next week, which I was planning to try on the regenerator or pre-amp.

The double socket next to the HiFi one is empty.

The last double socket has a Sony 32" LCD TV and a ZGemma H2S satellite receiver plugged into it.
    Kevin

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sorry to hear that it's difficult for you Geoff. I did my back in some time back so I know how tricky it can be unplugging stuff etc. Then maybe a really good mains block dedicated to the power amps would be best option as suggested by Marco, or two mains blocks. One for the power amps and one for the rest of your gear

I have done quite a bit of experimenting myself recently after using monoblocks and found that they certainly did not sound great with one plugged into a mains block and the other plugged into a wall socket. I put some more sockets in and a dedicated mains cable to each amp and the difference was not insignificant!
    Yes, my house is new build so I can certainly dedicate one or more socketa to the power amps. The problem is that my Maggies are quite large panels and it is difficult to reach around them the the power sockets. I have some Bye Bye Standby Energy Saving Sockets with programmable remotes that I use for uplighters and the like. Would these compromise the performance of mu power amps?

I'm James.

Yes, my house is new build so I can certainly dedicate one or more socketa to the power amps. The problem is that my Maggies are quite large panels and it is difficult to reach around them the the power sockets. I have some Bye Bye Standby Energy Saving Sockets with programmable remotes that I use for uplighters and the like. Would these compromise the performance of mu power amps?
    I am not sure I would plug my amps into those as they could compromise performance, best to go for unswitched sockets.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Ok, I have six sockets on a radial circuit dedicated to home entertainment. I can easily add another two.

On one double socket (the first in the circuit) I have a time switch running a battery charger for my Anker battery that powers my Caiman DAC (this comes on from 1am until 9am everyday, and is deliberately set outside of normal listening hours).
    The other socket powers my AG1500. This currently has an IEC power lead directly connected to my power amp (but this will have to change next week, as there will be two Firebottle monoblock amps here). The Schuko socket then feeds the power strip, which contains connections for the Firebottle KIN pre-amp, Graham Slee headphone amp run from a PSU1, Long Dog Audio PSU for the Techie, MJ Acoustics Pro 50 subwoofer, and finally my Pioneer PD-S703 CD player.
    All of the HiFi is run through the regenerator, as I like the convenience of being able to power it all down easily, plus it gives me a consistent power feed, and has stopped the humming toroidals in the power amps.
    At the moment, it is fed through standard Schuko kettle leads, but I have an aftermarket lead arriving next week, which I was planning to try on the regenerator or pre-amp.

The double socket next to the HiFi one is empty.

The last double socket has a Sony 32" LCD TV and a ZGemma H2S satellite receiver plugged into it.
    Hi Kev, I have just been experimenting with power sockets etc for my Croft monoblocks and to be honest they were best plugged into the same double unswitched socket. Also maybe try some beefed up 4mm power cables for you monoblocks.I had one mono amp on a block which also fed other stuff and one into the wall and they sounded slightly unbalanced to me, mind you it also had a kettle cable on it at the time. As with all my equipment I have gone for screened mains cables and tried to keep them as cleanly fed as possible. Adding another spur socket at the weekend with a nice silver plated double socket has helped even more.

Marcos suggestion of sockets etc is good but also consider the possibility of cooker sockets wired on a board with its own fuse box which is then wired back to you CU. No fuses to worry about.

I'm Kevin.

Have a look at the extension block with remote switch I linked to in post 13. This is probably less of a compromise than the remote controlled plugs.
    Kevin

I'm Geoff.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will check out the options. However, I am hoping to return to long term overseas work soon so do not want to invest in any house rewiring options.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast