+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ortofon 2m Black is No More

I'm Mick.

Default Ortofon 2m Black is No More

Well To say I am gutted is an under statement.

I have damaged my stylus beyond repair. Whilst moving my turntable I put the guard on(Crap design)the stylus and did what I had to do. Once the turntable was fully set up again I set about playing some music. At first I noticed a strange change in sound so I thought check everything again. All checked out ok. Once playing I looked at the stylus and to my horror it was badly bent. I cannot understand how this happened but is bent and twisted so I will not be using it in the fear of damaging my records,I tried to straighten it but I think it just looks worse.

Now the question due to funds I don't think I will be spending another £370 for a black stylus so looking at Blue or Bronze on the black cart I already have. Or even another cartridge may be an option. Would a Ortofon Blue gain anything from been on the better cartridge ?
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

Bigman80 Guest

Oh man, sorry to hear that. Here, treat yourself -

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

Ortofon MC25FL Cartridge with stylus guard

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Think the body is same. Maybe caught it with the guard. Some are worth finging away as far as possible. Sure the makers do it deliberately
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Very sorry to hear that Mick you must be gutted! You may pick up a replacement under £350 if you look round or maybe just buy second hand?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Chris.

Ouch, I feel you pain.

According to Ortofon the red and blue are interchangeable as are the bronze and black, I suppose you could mix and match them all with each other
    I would have thought.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

blackstar Guest

Different generators in red/blue as opposed to bronze/black but they are physically interchangeable.

I'm Mick.

Just wondering if I would get gains from a blue on the superior cart. Rather than another £100 on top of that for a bronze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm jamie.

sorry to hear that mate,been there and got the t-shirt!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster68 View Post
    Well To say I am gutted is an under statement.

I have damaged my stylus beyond repair. Whilst moving my turntable I put the guard on(Crap design)the stylus and did what I had to do. Once the turntable was fully set up again I set about playing some music. At first I noticed a strange change in sound so I thought check everything again. All checked out ok. Once playing I looked at the stylus and to my horror it was badly bent. I cannot understand how this happened but is bent and twisted so I will not be using it in the fear of damaging my records,I tried to straighten it but I think it just looks worse.

Now the question due to funds I don't think I will be spending another £370 for a black stylus so looking at Blue or Bronze on the black cart I already have. Or even another cartridge may be an option. Would a Ortofon Blue gain anything from been on the better cartridge ?
    Ah, gutted for you, I never bother with guards just in case I trash the cart, mind you I'm the only one that goes near the TT and it always has the lid on.

Insurance ?

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Ah, gutted for you, I never bother with guards just in case I trash the cart, mind you I'm the only one that goes near the TT and it always has the lid on.

Insurance ?

I can't believe I have done it Mick. Not worth claiming for £100 XS then premiums go up. I will probably try a blue on the cart to see what it sound like or get a bronze and see how that goes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast