+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The "Walpurgis Driver fix"

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    That was my worry but if you start at 6" away then gradually creep the nozzle closer until to see it start to tease the dome out, then very slowly edge it closer still......
    That's how I've always done It. I'm sure some people would be horrified If they saw how I do It - Full power with an already powerful Miele vacuum cleaner.

Both the tweeters and mids on my speakers have been done three times in the last couple of years. You'd never know though because there's not a single dent.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I owned some 710s. My memory is of a overly active top end, with good bass and mids.

Perhaps those tweeters have settled down a tad in their more senior years.
    Ye maybe a little at times but it's usually the recording too. Maybe they have mellowed ? Bass and MIDs are phenomenal though. Might change the tweeter for personal preference

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm nigel.

the best solution I've found is paper masking tape...simply apply a strip across the dome and scrape it down with a fingernail...it will go darker as it sticks down.
    a gentle pull up is all that is then required. works on tweeter domes too, cloth AND metal.
    of course the best idea is to keep your grilles on....young children seem to think drivers are a ON switch!!

NIGE.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    the best solution I've found is paper masking tape...simply apply a strip across the dome and scrape it down with a fingernail...it will go darker as it sticks down.
    a gentle pull up is all that is then required. works on tweeter domes too, cloth AND metal.
    of course the best idea is to keep your grilles on....young children seem to think drivers are a ON switch!!

NIGE.
    I do, but they came like that. And they haven't got grills. Yet.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Might change the tweeter for personal preference
    If you do I am interested in what they are and perform like. A little swap around with some others speakers may be in order.

Cheers,
    Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

That SEAS tweeter is actually pretty decent. You may have trouble integrating an alternative into the speaker. Impedance, sensitivity and compatibilty with the existing crossover or adustments to it have to be considered. If you are finding things a bit bright, why not try an 'L' pad with the tweeter to control output. You can do this cheaply with resistors or use an adjustable pot type. Bear in mind there is an insertion loss with pots.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That SEAS tweeter is actually pretty decent. You may have trouble integrating an alternative into the speaker. Impedance, sensitivity and compatibilty with the existing crossover or adustments to it have to be considered. If you are finding things a bit bright, why not try an 'L' pad with the tweeter to control output. You can do this cheaply with resistors or use an adjustable pot type. Bear in mind there is an insertion loss with pots.
    Erm, I didn't understand all of that lol. I like them so I'll leave them alone hahaha. I feel very lucky that I didn't rip the cone off or something when I was trying to manipulate it.

Integration is a worry and o have done a bit of reading. The Seas tweeter is actually pretty decent so I'd have to spend a good chunk of change to get anything as good. I think I'll just focus on refinishing the Cab's and getting some nice grills. Wilmslow audio make them to order apparently.

I'm Geoff.

Google L Pad. Then you'll see what I mean. Quite easy to implement actually.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ye maybe a little at times but it's usually the recording too. Maybe they have mellowed ? Bass and MIDs are phenomenal though. Might change the tweeter for personal preference

I don't know but what I really liked about them was the bass driver cone material. It's a bit cheap vending machine coffee cup like in nature, but by fuck is it quick sounding subjectively.

I think young people will really seriously hear the treble issue they undoubtedly had. Because I did as a youngster in precisely the same way they would or will now.

I'd lift them up on top of the floor onto a half decent stand. They can do some wacko entertaining imaging when so placed. Try a good quality rigid stand that gets them at least one and a half feet above the floor.

Bigman80 Guest

I'm young !!! Lol. Ish.

Yeah stands too. I like em.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast