+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knosti record cleaner for my rotten vinyl

I'm Geoff.

Bigman80 Guest

I have a Knosti and have found it to be a great bit of kit. Time consuming, but good. I agree with the idea of putting them through a prewash first.

Get the newest version with the handle and the rubber seal. The original clamp was shit. I had mine modified before they released the new version and now there is no leakage at all.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I have a Knosti and have found it to be a great bit of kit. Time consuming, but good. I agree with the idea of putting them through a prewash first.

Get the newest version with the handle and the rubber seal. The original clamp was shit. I had mine modified before they released the new version and now there is no leakage at all.

Thanks, the MKII is on eBay for £59 and it includes 50 sleeves. I've got to decide wether I need the hoover bit I guess.

I'm Anto.

Thanks for the heads up about the new clamp Bigman!!
    I was a bit like the OP , in that I had left 2 vinyl cases full of albums in a room that had little extra airing . Consequently the albums became affected by small patches of mould (only slight) .
    I am a big Knosti fan . I have 2 baths or base pieces , and I get the kitchen to myself and use the one bath for just washing and soaking .
    For this I use a quite warm bath with a squirt of Stergene , a soap solution for delicates, and I change this quite a few times for the bad ones , and then rinse in warm water , spin them dry (with the knosti holder in a cordless drill ) then put them through the other bath .
    In this I just mix iso prop(bought by the gallon) and distilled water (from my dehumidier, lol ) and a dab of rinse aid .
    Be prepared to chuck and re add new to be on safe side
    This way you don't end up spinning the slightly dirty stuff back into the grooves (or so I think )
    Spin dry and leave in warm place

Simples , but not to the purists tastes , and it is a fag
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Tim.

I reckon Knosti will make a good job.
    I use one and I've cleaned some charity shop vinyl that was pretty bad and got them back to fantastically clean with no pops or clicks.
    A good pre-soak works well with particularly dirty records and you might have to clean them two of three times to get them really clean.
    I suggest a cheap stylus like a AT95E or Rega Carbon to try them out so you don't risk damage to an expensive stylus.
    Patience is a virtue, it will take a while and elbow grease to get them really clean.

blackstar Guest

As above, I have two Knostis for the ole two bucket system. I have the older clamps so have to accept that for what it is.

I'm sure the Knosti will do what you want it to, you'd just be best served to concoct your own fluid. Asda always have distilled/de-ionised water for cheap in the motoring section.

Bigman80 Guest

Hi-Qual do a fantastic job of making the clamp water tight and he sent me free cleaning solution to try. His solution was very very good. Two baths is defo the way to go if you have a lot of cleaning to do.

blackstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hi-Qual do a fantastic job of making the clamp water tight and he sent me free cleaning solution to try. His solution was very very good. Two baths is defo the way to go if you have a lot of cleaning to do.

Thanks for the heads up. Two baths is even better for two solutions; one tonget dug into the muck and the other to rinse.

I'm Chris.

I used Knosti to clean around 500-600 records. For its cost, it does great job. I made my own IPA-based solution. Knosti has also excellent anti-static effect, imho better than Okki. I bought Okki only after buying a £600 cartridge, I was concerned that what is left in the grooves after cleaning the record with Knosti may affect the expensive stylus.
    As far as sonic benefits go, I hear no difference between a record cleaned with Knosti and vacuum cleaned with Okki. What I like about Okki is that I can use it in my work room instead of the basement and L'Art du Son smells quite nice compared to IPA.
    If I were to buy a new Knosti right now, I agree the mk2 version is the way to go, the leaking clamp on the original Knosti was horrible.
    TT: none atm; Carts: Benz Micro Ace SL; Phono stage: Nuda dual mono
    Digital: Rotel RCD-965BX, rDAC; Amp: Modwright KWI-200, Speakers: Dynaudio Special 25

Bigman80 Guest

The Knosti is a very capable bit of kit. I've never felt the need to buy anything else and I REALLY like to upgrade lol.

Mine cost a total of £60 and is doing a fantastic job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast