+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Knosti record cleaner for my rotten vinyl

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Can you stretch to one of these?

http://maquinaphk.xpg.uol.com.br/models.html

Don't look much but do as good a job as any other RCM.
    I have one of these, for the money it's excellent
    I also have a disco antistat which is like the knosti. Using both works really well, use the disco to wet the disk and get in the grooves + the vacuum on the phk.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    I also have a disco antistat which is like the knosti. Using both works really well, use the disco to wet the disk and get in the grooves + the vacuum on the phk.
    Ive been doing a bit of reading as you do over the weekend and I think thats exactly what im going to do, I will use the knosti that Mike very kindly donated to soak the discs in a cleaning solution, after I have pre washed in the sink of course, then I am seriously considering importing one of these. Its about £130 delivered which seems excellent value. The biggest advantage this has over the previous one suggested is it takes up way less space, as my house is so full of my shit I literally have no room for another box, the "squeaky clean" will go in a draw.

I'm Alan.

If anyone is looking for suppliers to make up record cleaning solutions here's who I used.
    IPA: https://apcpure.com/product/isopropanol_99_9_acs
    Ilford Ilfotol: http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/bandw_...e/13778_p.html
    Distilled Water: https://apcpure.com/product/distilled_water The specs on this look fantastic, I considered RO water from our garden centre and I considered Deionised water but they cant match the purity of this stuff. Check this out:
    Nitrates: <0.2ppm
    Heavy Metals (as Pb): <0.1ppm
    Chloride (Cl): Silicon (si): <10ppb
    Ammonium (NH4): <0.2ppm
    TOC: <50ppb
    Bacteria: <100CFU/ml
    If Ive got any left I might start my own business! Its cost me £53 and that will make 12.5 Litres of solution with 7.5 Litres of distilled water left for rinsing and loads of Ilfotol spare using this recipe. https://londonjazzcollector.wordpres...r-vacuum-rcms/

I'm Mike.

What's the process for getting one, there doesn't seem to be a way of buying from the website, finally i guess you would need a wet n dry vac

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    What's the process for getting one, there doesn't seem to be a way of buying from the website, finally i guess you would need a wet n dry vac
    Yeah Ive got a vac already. Im waiting for Nick to email me back on the order process, he has given me the price via email. I will post it here when he gets back to me.

I'm Marc.

Just email the guy, he's very friendly. The phk has a sump so a regular hoover works fine.

Edit: Was on my phone earlier so didn't realise we weren't taking about the phk, which is pretty small if not as 'tidy' as the one in the video.
    Last edited by Rothchild; 20-02-2017 at 18:21.

I'm Mike.

Just email the guy, he's very friendly. The phk has a sump so a regular hoover works fine.

Edit: Was on my phone earlier so didn't realise we weren't taking about the phk, which is pretty small if not as 'tidy' as the one in the video.
    Just got an email from the guy selling the PHK RCM, apparently he's not exporting anymore

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Alan.

Just got an email from the guy selling the PHK RCM, apparently he's not exporting anymore
    That's put another £50 on the second hand price! My Squeaky Clean is in the air.

I'm Russell.

Default Knosti record cleaner for my rotten vinyl

Whether a good RCM is worth having, greatly depends on how many records you own. Any and all records benefit from cleaning. Even brand new records can suffer from mold release compound from the presser.

But this machine you are speaking of sounds pretty great for the money! If it uses a vacuum, you're golden! But next to a vacuum, and good cleaning fluid, is a good brush. To really get down in the grooves a good micro fiber or carbon fiber brush, many made specifically for scrubbing records, is a must. I've read that only a carbon fiber brush has hairs small enough to get to the bottoms of the grooves. Especially dirty records, lay flat on a lint free cloth and scrub vigorously in a rotational manner, then that gets the deepest dirt loose so the vacuum can suck it up. And records do get better with subsequent cleanings. I've achieved jaw dropping results cleaning old records, one of the greatest improvements to your playback, greater than a major cartridge upgrade!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

[QUOTE=alphaGT;838340]Whether a good RCM is worth having, greatly depends on how many records you own.]

Or if the relatively small collection you have is covered in silt! If I can play them again, £136 is a small price to pay in my eyes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast