+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knosti record cleaner for my rotten vinyl

I'm Alan.

Default Knosti record cleaner for my rotten vinyl (FLOOD DAMAGE)

Hi Folks, Im thinking of buying the knosti cleaning machine because i cant afford a real cleaner, I would like a little advice though, my vinyl collection was stored in my cellar in 2007 when we had a very bad flood, so its pretty dirty, muddy even, and possibly mouldy a bit. I have repeatedly thought about binning it thinking it would be too far gone and maybe warped to buggery as i couldnt bring myself to look at it and it is stored very badly. however I have just revived a very old deck and tonight i peeled open one of the albums, to my amazement its not warped, but it is fricken dirty, so given that my old collection is probably dirtier than any record ever cleaned by anyone here, I was wondering if I am expecting too much from a cheap rcm and do i need to sell a kidney to get a decent one, to be honest my kidneys aint worth shit because i drint too much but i need to be a little more informed, no point me spendng 60 quid if its not going to do the job, has anyone cleaned flood damaged vinyl with a knosti?

TIA
    Alan
    Last edited by Dawg; 17-02-2017 at 07:58.

I'm Simon.

I think your best option is to take some of these dirty LP's to a local store that has an RCM to get them cleaned for you. If there is no local store I believe some offer this service online, it'll just cost a little extra in postal charges. Get a couple done and see how much (if any) improvement is gained. At least then you have an idea if it's worth investing further or not (and whether you collection is still salvageable).

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    I think your best option is to take some of these dirty LP's to a local store that has an RCM to get them cleaned for you. If there is no local store I believe some offer this service online, it'll just cost a little extra in postal charges. Get a couple done and see how much (if any) improvement is gained. At least then you have an idea if it's worth investing further or not (and whether you collection is still salvageable).
    Thanks Simon, I dont mind buying the Knosti if its been proven to get this sort of muck off, I did see on Marcos thread some enzyme cleaner but its only available from the states and its nearly £30 in postage! Ive imported CDP's for less. If I go down the rout of sending them off it will probably cost as much as an RCM. Maybe a picture would be better, Im quite surprised the artwork has survived actually.
    20170217_073728.jpg20170217_073737.jpg20170217_073748.jpg

I'm Gary.

My records had been "stored" in the loft for 15 years plus, found them at the bottom of a pile of stuff, leaning at an angle. Some of them had a sort of mould on them.

Bought a Knosti, time consuming but the records play perfectly. For £50 or so well worth it. The fluid that it comes with is not the best, but as your first attempt will give you some idea.

A pre clean gently in the sink to get "mud" off might be a good idea.

I wouldn't pull them out the sleeves, but cut the sleeve, and as you say peel them off. Use new sleeves.

I'm Geoff.

Alan, before you become a "Knosti Boy" you might try some intermediate cleaning steps using a home made cleaning solution. In truth, you would not really want to put such dirty records into a cleaning bath without taking off the worst grime first. Think of it as the foot bath at your local swimming pool.

There are plenty of sites online that give the recipe for an isopropyl based alcohol mix. I would apply this with a micro-fibre cloth or a "magic sponge" the latter being especially effective in getting gunk out from the grooves.

Geoff

I'm Alan.

Thanks Stryder5, I think that has put my mind at rest.

Cheers Geoff, great advice, I did some research a while ago regarding home made solutions, I think the price of the ilford stuff put me off but I think my records deserve it now ive seen them. That makes perfect sense regarding getting the loose stuff off first, i dont want it turning the solution into a sand bath! Im off to ebay!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Can you stretch to one of these?

http://maquinaphk.xpg.uol.com.br/models.html

Don't look much but do as good a job as any other RCM.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Some info to help avoid the problems listed earlier in this thread. I have had well over 1000 vinyl albums in storage for 20 years. I have recently unpackaged them and have found them to be in exactly the same condition as when they went into storage. They were stored in the following crates (12 in all):

http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes....id-c2x12535708

The xl version of this crate has a higher lid that is the perfect size for LPs.

Into each crate I placed a 150gm sachet of desiccant silica gel. This was perhaps overkill given the volume of the crate and the fact that the records almost entirely filled them leaving little room for moisture bearing air.

Geoff

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Can you stretch to one of these?

http://maquinaphk.xpg.uol.com.br/models.html

Don't look much but do as good a job as any other RCM.
    Cheers! I didn't get on eBay as I had to leave for work. I would like to see that in action so I will look for vids later.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have one, as do several here. Works very well, you just need to use your hoover to provide the vacuum.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast