+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Croft Epoch pre-amp. Some nice upgrades.

I'm Gary.

Default Croft Epoch pre-amp. Some nice upgrades.

I am looking to sell my Croft Epoch pre-amp. This unit dates, I would guess, from the early nineties but it is in immaculate condition save for a small blemish on the gold fascia panel just to the left of the right-hand volume control, which I have tried to show in the photo. Croft amps are of course well known and popular on this forum for their excellent sonic performance, and the Epoch is fully in the tradition; I think it was the model above the Croft "Micro" at the time. The built-in phono stage in particular is exceptionally good and equals - or betters - several expensive stand alone stages. The performance of this particular amp has been further enhanced by the removal of the two original Croft-installed volume pots and their substitution by two mono DACT stepped attenuators. This gives a very major improvement in sound. Also, the signal path wiring for CD and tuner has been replaced with pure silver solid core leads. The phono signal path is unmodified. The phono stage includes two Sovtek ECC83 valves at the moment. A further significant upgrade can be had by replacing these with Mullard NOS CV4004 military spec items. I have two of these to hand - well-used but still measure well and perform perfectly - and they can be included in the sale (at extra cost) if the buyer wishes.

Here are some pictures of the amp:

I am asking £450 with the Sovtek valves installed or £500 with the Mullards as well. Postage on top of that.
    IB

I'm Don.

Epoch with those mods for 500...I'm foaming at the mouth! That's cheap!
    I would buy, but already have one;-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    Epoch with those mods for 500...I'm foaming at the mouth! That's cheap!
    I would buy, but already have one;-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Buy a second, Don. You could start a trend in pre-amp bi-amping!
    IB.

I'm Alf.

A great pre that can be made superb by getting Glenn to mod further and add the off board power supply and a few internal tweaks. Mine is going nowhere!

GLWTS
    Techy SP10 mk 2 playing my Vinyl, Aries G1/Chord TT2/Mscaler doing digital, Ear Pre amp and Sowter powered KT88 SE power amp amplifying and big JBL's presenting a room full of fun

I'm Richie.

How does this compare to the modern series?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    I have never had the opportunity to compare them, I'm afraid.
    Anyone?
    Cheers. IB.

I'm ahto.

I've gathered two things from my own exchanges with Mr Croft: (1) properly upgraded, earlier preamps can beat the stock 25R (but it seems not the 25RS); (2) direct comparisons are, however, greatly complicated by the differing topologies.
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    This range was Vitale-Epoch-Epoch Elite. This does not correlate exactly to Basic-25-25R as the Epoch has valve regulated power supply which the 25 doesn't have. So maybe somewhere between the 25 and 25R?

But note the last point about different topologies.

I'm ahto.

more subjectively: I had a Micro 25 (running various NOS valves) which was replaced by a Mega Micro II (a generation older than the Vitale-Epoch-Epoch Elite range), substantially updated by Mr Croft, with a 12-valve separate PSU. I think I may have lost some analytics (looking back, the 25 presented music like Morse code), but gained vastly in detail, overall coherence, musicality and realism (the latter especially in the midrange). put another way, the 25, even with NOS Mullards, never got my foot tapping. the MMII does, with abandon.
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Gary.

Bump.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast