+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SEG power supply

I'm Rod.

Got the supply and seems well made with an integral fuse holder in the iec socket.
    The Earth is attached to the bottom of the case and there was continuity from the earth pin to the switch lever on the front.
    Didn't stop me putting a 1A fuse in the plug.

Well I have listened on headphones and even recorded from the Pre-Amp outputs using the original and the linear supply.
    I recorded a selection of music and placed the 2 versions on top of each other in DAW software and did A/B comparisons in real time.
    And I couldn't tell the difference.

Looked at the waveforms at 1mS resolution and there is no difference.

Looks nice though.

I'm Ash.

That's not good.
    I've ordered my SEG (should arrive today) I also ordered the power supply, which ought to arrive in a fortnight or so.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm Luis.

Quote Originally Posted by rodf View Post
    Got the supply and seems well made with an integral fuse holder in the iec socket.
    The Earth is attached to the bottom of the case and there was continuity from the earth pin to the switch lever on the front.
    Didn't stop me putting a 1A fuse in the plug.

Well I have listened on headphones and even recorded from the Pre-Amp outputs using the original and the linear supply.
    I recorded a selection of music and placed the 2 versions on top of each other in DAW software and did A/B comparisons in real time.
    And I couldn't tell the difference.

Looked at the waveforms at 1mS resolution and there is no difference.

Looks nice though.
    That's a good and cleaver test.
    Sometimes, we hear what we want to hear.

Thanks

I'm Mike.

Hmm, well after saying that I wasn't keen on a battery solution, I just happened to notice that the terminal on the 12V battery I have on my DIY night vision system fits straight into the SEG. Now that makes a HUGE difference to the sound!

Quote Originally Posted by pitadavespa View Post
    That's a good and cleaver test.
    Sometimes, we hear what we want to hear.

Thanks
    The stock SMPS power supply that I ship with my DACs and the Capella is quite good, and far lower in noise than equivalent SMPS power supplies that can be bought on eBay etc. I have covered that point numerous times.
    But in some situations the noise from the mains can be horrific, and under those circumstances a SMPS can sound terrible. A good case in point is the neighbourhood where I live. During the day all the local factories are using their noisy equipment and that is feeding through into the local power lines. But in the evening it is far cleaner, and then the SMPS sounds just about the same as a linear PSU.

I'm Adam.

So Stan - what you are saying is if I live in a home counties surburban area like Hertford (with no heavy industry etc) then there is no need for a battery or Linear Power Supply? Have to say that is very interesting !
    Adam.

What I am saying is that you should give all the options a try and then pick the right one for the right time of the day. I don't use just one type of power supply exclusively. For CD playback through the SEG I prefer the Lurcher or the Mark Grant power supply if it is the weekend. For PC to SEG via USB I prefer battery. That includes battery power for both PC and DAC. In between that I use one of my own SMPS power supply, or my el cheapo Chinese linear PSU.

I'm Rod.

Listened originally on headphones but I did the A/B comparison on speakers in an acoustically good environment (after recording at home to a Marantz PMD670 as WAVs) but maybe better headphones might have revealed differences (mine are Beyer DT250s).
    Doesn't explain the visual similarity on the screen (used Sadie if you know what that is) but I don't know the absolute accuracy of the waveform drawing.
    Who knows......but if it's too close to call then maybe it doesn't matter.

I'm Luis.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The stock SMPS power supply that I ship with my DACs and the Capella is quite good, and far lower in noise than equivalent SMPS power supplies that can be bought on eBay etc. I have covered that point numerous times.
    But in some situations the noise from the mains can be horrific, and under those circumstances a SMPS can sound terrible. A good case in point is the neighbourhood where I live. During the day all the local factories are using their noisy equipment and that is feeding through into the local power lines. But in the evening it is far cleaner, and then the SMPS sounds just about the same as a linear PSU.
    Thank you for your explanation, Stan.
    Good point.

Cheers,
    Luis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12