+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any opinions on Onkyo Amplifiers

I'm Paul.

Default Any opinions on Onkyo Amplifiers

Hi all

Looks like my ageing Pioneer A-70 is going to need replacing, don't have much of a budget and don't have many Hifi suppliers around here.

Most stock Yamaha and Onkyo Amplifiers which are within my limited budget which is upto £500

Been reading a few reviews which although rate the Yamaha Amps seem to rate the Onkyo Amps even higher and they are about £200 less than the Yamaha Amps.

Don't need anything special as my hearing is not what it was but need something around 50wattes per channel with built in phono stage, which both the above makes do in there models at my price limit.

Anyone got any views on modern Yamaha an Onkyo Amps.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Paul.
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    Hi all

Looks like my ageing Pioneer A-70 is going to need replacing, don't have much of a budget and don't have many Hifi suppliers around here.

Most stock Yamaha and Onkyo Amplifiers which are within my limited budget which is upto £500

Been reading a few reviews which although rate the Yamaha Amps seem to rate the Onkyo Amps even higher and they are about £200 less than the Yamaha Amps.

Don't need anything special as my hearing is not what it was but need something around 50wattes per channel with built in phono stage, which both the above makes do in there models at my price limit.

Anyone got any views on modern Yamaha an Onkyo Amps.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Paul.
    Soundwise great but I had issues with the reliability of their flagship integrated. If that was my budget and I was buying new I'd have a Rega, Denon or Marantz for an all round decent integrated.

Having said that, an ask on here for a nice integrated within your budget might turn up something rather more special. Worth a punt.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Soundwise great but I had issues with the reliability of their flagship integrated. If that was my budget and I was buying new I'd have a Rega, Denon or Marantz for an all round decent integrated.

Having said that, an ask on here for a nice integrated within your budget might turn up something rather more special. Worth a punt.
    Indeed I think someone was selling an almost new Arcam A29 for that money. Great powerful amp.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ighlight=Arcam
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Martin.

Broadly speaking I would say Onkyo if you want to rock out, Yamaha if you want it a little sweeter and more polite. Both are competent and always have been. You could get more for your money buying a used item but understandable if you don't want to go that way.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Marc.

My mate and I A/B'd the budget offerings from both Yamaha and Onkyo at Richer Sounds, he ended up buying (and is still really pleased with) the Yamaha, which to us was honest and un-fatiguing whereas the Onkyo was somewhat over-bright and tended to sibilance.

One top tip we walked out with was because they demmed them for us we were able to buy it as ex-dem (even through they'd just taken each of them out of the box to run the demo) and take a reasonable discount ;-)

I'm Phil.

not an amp but I am listening to an onkyo sacd player and its rather good for the money
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Gary.

I have an Onkyo A/V amp that is over 10 years old, I sometimes use this in direct mode for stereo, always amazes by its relative performance.

I'm Neil.

You can do much better for under £500 than from either brand IMO, like a decent Sony ES amp. Second hand will get you a lot for this money, new will sink it down the drain.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Bigman80 Guest

A mate of mine has an onkyo and it sounds very bright to me. Yamaha in my opinion have a very plain sound. I agree with going used and can vouch for the Sony ES range. 630es upwards will satisfy your needs.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm tony.

Richer sounds does a Marantz pm6005 for a couple of hundred. The built in Dac would let you listen to anything from a cheap lap top-just by adding a cheap usb to co-ax/optical convertor.

I havent heard one but it ticks all your boxes with a phono stage/headphone section.

Just a thought!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast