+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini Disc Advice

I'm Geoff.

Default Mini Disc Advice

Hi,

continuing to discover more things I had forgotten about from my long term storage.

The latest is a couple of Sony Minidisc players and a large number of blank minidiscs, mostly unrecorded.

Any idea of what is a reasonable price for the blank discs. I will probably keep the players for the few discs that I used to record live concerts.

Geoff

I'm Grant.

Standard ones can be from 50p to 2 pounds. Fancy himd ones can be £20
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Standard ones can be from 50p to 2 pounds. Fancy himd ones can be £20
    Thanks, I seem to recall buying mine at around £1.50 to £2 each in the early to mid 90s. Rather foolishly I bought a large number intending to make digital "mix tapes" and then never got around to using them. By the late 90's I was an early adopter of CD-R despite the ridiculous price of the blanks and the high failure rate on attempted burns!

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

MiniDisc was generally bypassed by Hi-Fi enthusiasts for some reason. I don't see why though. The recordings I make sound way better than anything Compact Cassette ever achieved in my system. I can record from my CD player and get playback quality that is virtually identical. I'll not be parting with my Pioneer MJ-D707. I've noticed that asking prices for MD equipment seem to be rising recently. Is there a renaissance?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Default Mini Disc Advice

I had a Sony Minidisc player in my car years ago. It was stolen by (probably) some low-life junkie needing a fix. I remember actually laughing to myself that a) he left the detachable front in the glove box, and b) nobody else on the planet used Minidisc, and therefore the player was worth feck all to anyone..!!..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Still got quite a few discs.. maybe 40 at a guess. Only got my portable machines now.. sony walkmans. 1 recorder.. one web enabled recorder and another player only type. The 2 fancy recorders are damn good, and still viable for on the go etc. I,d keep em for a while..they can only gobup in value
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I bought my mini disc player already being the owner of a sony pro walkman wm d6c and the smaller sony pro walkman wm d3. I used the former as my domestic tape deck and to make compilation tapes and the latter as my travelling unit. Whilst I found the quality of both sony tape decks to be superb I started to do a lot of short term assignments in the developing world at that time. I bought the mini disc players for two reasons! The first was portability: 20 minidiscs and player was more compact and weighed less the the cassette tape equivalent. The second was durability and robustness: leave a cassette in the car in the tropics for an hour and you have stringy liquorice! I think the wm d6c was slightly more musical than the minidisc though!

Geoff

I still have both Sony cassette machines!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by M6NTL View Post
    I had a Sony Minidisc player in my car years ago. It was stolen by (probably) some low-life junkie needing a fix. I remember actually laughing to myself that a) he left the detachable front in the glove box, and b) nobody else on the planet used Minidisc, and therefore the player was worth feck all to anyone..!!..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Or possibly a banker with a drug problem! Even lower life you say?

I'm Geoff.

I never got on with the Sony portable MD's. I found the Sharp MD-MT88H(S) and the others in the series better and very good for sound and reliability. I still have a couple.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

D6C,s still make good money.. pro version. Ive just got the little ones. But both work well..they were well made
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast