+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mini Disc Advice

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I am a long standing Audible subscriber. You can't beat a riveting audiobook to keep you alert on a 10 hour journey through the Namib desert. However, as I get older and grumpier I begrudge paying for life's simple pleasures. I was pleased with myself when I discovered that my local library subscribe to this free audiobook application.

Oneclickdigital has apps for the pc and android devices and allows you to check out a title for 21 days at a time. You can download the files to your phone and listen to them offline for the specified period. Recently listened to Max Hastings epic account of WW1 (Catastrophe), Tracey Borman's excellent biography of Thomas Cromwell, and Bernard Cornwell's extensive account of Waterloo. Currently catching up on Orwell and reminding myself of the rules of Nuspeak in this post truth alternative facts era. If your local library is part of the scheme you just have to register with your library card number and pin number. Your "cheapskate" heart will delight in the fact that this is completely free, compared to the typical £10 or more for an audible title. I will send you my address so you can send the appropriate quantity of Chateau de Chaselet!
    Overdrive is a good app for library books and I think does audible books too.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Overdrive is a good app for library books and I think does audible books too.
    The thing about Oneclickdigital is that it is part of the library network. It links to public libraries and allows one to search the catalogue of audiobooks, check out a title, and then play it back on multiple devices.

Geoff

I'm Andrew.

Ditto Overdrive Geoff.

I'm Dave.

I could hardly believe this ebay listing - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Hi-MD-...wAAOSwiBJaITKm when I noticed it a day or two ago.

There was/were hardly any HiMD Minidisc decks ever made - maybe this was the only one, which I felt was a shame. Nevertheless, I'm surprised that anyone is still interested. I have had quite good results making recordings to MD - both HiMD and regular, but compared with digital recorders they are a real faff. I suppose the only real merit would be that perhaps the recordings would last a long while on the discs - whereas we don't actually know how long memory cards etc. will last - though if recordings are copied accurately to other back up media there shouldn't be a long term problem.
    Dave

I'm Martin.

There is still a steady market for minidisc players and discs.

I just wanted to dabble with it and a key point is I didnt spend too much. I managed to get a Pioneer 707 in minty condition for £20 (bereavement clearance) and that was bargain of the year. I also have two mini sized Teacs as back up and my Sharp portable. I do have over 100 discs with many bought in bulk on the used market

Personally I think going for the top of the range Sonys is a bit much when they have no guarantee on them. However I appreciate quality equipment and thats up to others. I do not think there would be any significant difference over this well reviewed 707

Its just very handy to have a selection of music which can be wiped If I decide to move on. I make no claims about the sound quality but it sounds very good to me. Its more than good enough for what I do with it and what I expect from it

Some dont understand it but Ive been sensible and hardly spent anything for the fun its given me. I use my Phone for portable music now but a minidisc sounds better than a cheap phone.

I had video 8 Track PCM and I will take minidisc as a logical step from any cassette tape. Time moves on and we all know what happened, Its still nice to rescue a mindisc player and give it a good home

I'm Geoff.

My Pioneer MJ-D707 was bought new way back and although I don't use it often, I am certainly not parting with it. The recordings are extremely good. I still have mountains of new discs too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123