+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 384khz?

I'm Geoff.

I would not claim to explain the difference only to perceive it!

I'm Neil.

File based audio doesn't need error correction like CD does. Very few CD players re-read on error, and apply error correction instead. As files don't need to work in real time, jitter tends to be lower too. Again, very few CD players buffer their signals.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    File based audio doesn't need error correction like CD does. Very few CD players re-read on error, and apply error correction instead. As files don't need to work in real time, jitter tends to be lower too. Again, very few CD players buffer their signals.
    Because of the way the whole system works error correction does not have any effect on the final signal unless it fails and you will then get an audible glitch, You won't get a slightly worse rendition of a violin.

Distortion from jitter is not going to be a factor, that problem was solved years prior to CD being launched. Even worst case it is fractions of a percent. You could make it worse but it would need to be deliberate. I know there are people who will argue otherwise but IMO Just another concept the marketing men caught on to.

There are so many other variables involved when moving from CD to files or streaming that are likely to have much more impact on the sound than lower jitter.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm not saying this is the answer since ascribing improvements/changes to the wrong thing is a major pitfall of this hobby. That is simply what I have observed to date. As a proponent of game theory I like to analyse systems and uncover how they work so as to more effectively exploit them. Hi-fi is possibly one of the hardest systems to crack, since there is so much bullshit around, plus even the people who design the stuff do not seem to be sure exactly what is happening.
    Probably not for this thread, but I'd like to know more about how game theory works as a tool for analysing/understanding audio equipment if you were willing to put some notes together on it.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Aye,
    Especially when fed by Ethernet.
    Transfer protocol is important.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Probably not for this thread, but I'd like to know more about how game theory works as a tool for analysing/understanding audio equipment if you were willing to put some notes together on it.
    I've been out of academia for a long time now and killed a lot of brain cells with Guinness but I suppose I could cobble something together so long as there's no rush. If you think it is nonsense I'm fine with that. I'm not even sure it can be applied to hi-fi, that's the experiment I am working on currently
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Listener's Dilemma!

I'm Gary.

Rather be listening to music me'self!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Rather be listening to music me'self!
    Ain't no one stoppin' you.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    But to compound the difficulty of hearing differences as I love a simple solution too to be suggested, are sorry to say, source impedances, cable types, attenuation methods the focus of my life for the last 7 years , let alone speakers. IMO power amps are the least problematic component.

As an example today I heard a Mcintosh valve amp into Spendors costing $20.000... it really was rubbish compared to my Quad 306's and JR149's all of $1200.00

So the whole chain has to be somehow be identified as Go Doubtful or No Go specification so a typical audiophile feels happy stepping out the door
    or maybe the next room if online to find his or her best choice of component. The McIntosh being a valve design simply needed a high impedance speaker
    like high impedance LS3/5a also made by Spencer and Dorothy, but this had not dawned on those trying to sell it.
    This reply by Peter backs up my findings above, that people are wasting money on exotic equipment that sounds not as good than hifi costing sometimes 10 times less.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...747#post835747

It is a matter of buying the right combination that meets excellent audio standards - noting Peter and myself both use Quad power amps , and not getting carried away by needless hype.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast