+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 384khz?

I'm Josie.

Hi Paul, please post constructively to the thread.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Marc.

Although 24/96 has become popular for recording I think we've got to remember that audio rates 'traditionally' are rooted it 44.1 with 48 being a more video format. This may well feed in to Josie finding 88.2 preferable, as the maths needed for sample rate conversion is trivial whereas moving between 44/88/176 - 48/96/192 takes a bit more arithmetic, which may include some rounding.

Personally I think you should stick to the rate of the file, all this upsampling stuff is stretching credibility. There are real practical reasons why using high sample rates is helpful in a recording and mixing context, and fair enough if that chain is maintained through to the master it wont hurt to listen to the master at the rate it was tracked at but upsampling, meh, you can't unbake a cake and you can't put stuff back in a mix that isn't there already.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Personally I think you should stick to the rate of the file, all this upsampling stuff is stretching credibility. There are real practical reasons why using high sample rates is helpful in a recording and mixing context, and fair enough if that chain is maintained through to the master it wont hurt to listen to the master at the rate it was tracked at but upsampling, meh, you can't unbake a cake and you can't put stuff back in a mix that isn't there already.
    Yes, exactly. And even a recording in 24 bit is likely to have its dynamic range limited by the mastering if a commercial recording.

The idea that the problem with digital audio was with its frequency response and its dynamic range is an odd one, given it is very good at both, but it has caught hold.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Paul, please post constructively to the thread.
    just being polite and replying with acknowledgements
    John Wood 6L6 Valve Amp, with:

6L6GC Russian Original (no logo) Output Tubes 4x, supplied by J.Wood.
    ECC81 Mullard NOS Input Tubes 2x
    12AU7 (ECC82) Brimar NOS Input Tubes 2x

Wilson Benesch Actor Loudspeakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF (co-axial) converter.

HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU + "The Teddy" 19/3 - 19V 3.5A LPSU.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

Sennheiser HD 558 headset.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by the_doc735 View Post
    just being polite and replying with acknowledgements
    Hmm.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes, exactly. And even a recording in 24 bit is likely to have its dynamic range limited by the mastering if a commercial recording.

The idea that the problem with digital audio was with its frequency response and its dynamic range is an odd one, given it is very good at both, but it has caught hold.
    yes I agree with this thought.
    John Wood 6L6 Valve Amp, with:

6L6GC Russian Original (no logo) Output Tubes 4x, supplied by J.Wood.
    ECC81 Mullard NOS Input Tubes 2x
    12AU7 (ECC82) Brimar NOS Input Tubes 2x

Wilson Benesch Actor Loudspeakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF (co-axial) converter.

HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU + "The Teddy" 19/3 - 19V 3.5A LPSU.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

Sennheiser HD 558 headset.

I'm Grant.

thread tidied up. No more silly posts please.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Dabbled in hires over the years, my thoughts are that *true* 24bit vs 16bit is the biggest improvement, and any samplerate over 96khz isn't worth the premium.
    As always, subject to the mastering.
    Some of the most edge of the seat 'wow you are there' recordings I have are are 320K MP3!

My Dac does up to 32/384 and when I used Jriver initially I upsampled everything to max out the Dac...bigger is better, right?
    As always, not that simple!

Nowadays I run everything at native depth and samplerate and appreciate any 24/96 recordings I have.
    But I dont't sweat it, 16/44 can sound wonderful and even 320K MP3 of a well mastered performance.

New version of Roon has software upsampling, so got curious and gave it a whirl again.
    Naa...
    Can hear a difference when upsampled, but doesn't make it sound better.
    Less natural, particularly in the feeling of 'air' feeling forced or artificial.

My £0.02 worth?
    24bit is cool, get that if you can and up to 96khz is all you will ever need.
    Better to get our knickers in a twist about stuff other this!
    Last edited by Gazjam; 15-02-2017 at 06:38.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Dabbled in hires over the years, my thoughts are that 24bit vs 16bit is the biggest improvement, and any samplerate over 96khz isn't worth the premium.
    As always, subject to the mastering.
    Some of the most edge of the seat 'wow you are there' recordings I have are are 320K MP3!

My Dac does up to 32/384 and when I used Jriver initially I upsampled everything to max out the Dac...bigger is better, right?
    As always, not that simple!

Nowadays I run everything at native depth and samplerate and appreciate any 24/96 recordings I have.
    But I dont't sweat it, 16/44 can sound wonderful and even 320K MP3 of a well mastered performance.

New version of Roon has software upsampling, so got curious and gave it a whirl again.
    Naa...
    Can hear a difference when upsampled, but doesn't make it sound better.
    Less natural, particularly in the feeling of 'air' feeling forced or artificial.

My £0.02 worth?
    24bit is cool, get that if you can and up to 96khz is all you will ever need.
    Better to get our knickers in a twist about stuff other this!

I have similar thoughts and experience on this as you Gary. I agree sometimes 24bit can sound superior to 16bit but depending on mastering. Even MP3 can sound acceptable if the recording and mastering are implemented well. I have heard DSD sound completely flat and 24 bit recordings worse than 16bit even of the same material.

However I do agree if you knowa recording is well mastered in 24bit it would be worth the premium. The only advantage I have actually heard from 24 bit recordings is in the top end air and finer acoustic detail.

I have not heard MQA yet but suspect the very top end full MQA resolved recordings are probably slightly better or easier on the ear.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Chris.

I agree 24 bit is very good, however only if side technologies are also deployed
    otherwise the recording is always being limited by digitals limitations.

The White Paper here ftp://ftp.dbxpro.com/pub/pdfs/WhitePapers/Type IV.pdf
    explores the benefits of extending the natural limitations of digital, whilst acknowledging and
    working cooperatively with proven analog techniques.

Most ECM label recordings form a great basis to hear just how good present day recording can be.
    Tord Gustavsen Simin Tander and Jarle Vespestad "What was said " ECM 2465 being a good example
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ8tbk8qtf4 along with Jan Garbarek Rites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHbW2mtwZKM

As no one has yet asked what mid 1980's product had a 644Khz sampling rate, alerted to in Post 2
    it was the DBX 700 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dbx_Mo...udio_Processor

Cheers / Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast