+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rothwell MC Headamp

I'm Shaun.

Default Rothwell MC Headamp

Sort of a mini review but I have only been using it for a week or so.
    Comparison with a Pro-Ject DS Phonobox

I decided to change from a Benz Micro Silver HOMC to a Denon DL103 in my Stanton ST.150 turntable and this ended with the DS giving very high levels of hum at 60db of gain. The Rothwell was installed and although I had setup issues, they all were sorted after a few days. So, how does it compare...? Well, it doesn't really to be honest. The difference is like the proverbial chalk and cheese. No hum, just residual hiss which cannot be heard from the seating position, a massive stereo image even though I had argued that CD will always be better. There are now elements of the mix that are hugely more breathtaking than with the same recording on CD. Little sounds emerging and shooting across the space between the speakers with a massive level of realism. The whole mix is now separated into individual threads that are not just a mix of sounds but rather very separate threads. It is just so easy to hear individual instruments and effects and also overdubs and edits. The midrange contains an enormous amount of detail that was just not there with the DS and a huge sense of realism that was also missing. Bass is OK but I think that is a function of the arm on the Stanton. I have heard more bass in the past from the same vinyl.

Pro-Ject DS Phonobox - £225
    Rothwell MC Headamp - £300

No comparison if you already have an inbuilt phono stage that is really good.

I'm Peter.

Yes, agreed Shaun ... like all Rothwell products I've owned, the Headspace is a quality product that punches well above its price point. Offers enough flexibility to accomodate just about any mc cartridge and system gain. Highly recommended.

I'm Shaun.

Yes Peter, it has impressed the hell out of me enabling the Denon to really shine through.

I'm Gary.

It's nice to hear that your Rothwell head amp hits the spot so well, Shaun. I have been lucky enough to get hold of an Arkless Electronics head amp, built for me by Jez just recently, and like you I am absolutely bowled over with what it does for vinyl replay. There is quite a strong SUT following on this forum (and that's fine obviously - each to their own) but I feel that the virtues of a well designed and implemented head amp have become somewhat overlooked amid the general enthusiasm for the "mystique" of the SUT.
    IB

I'm Shaun.

Well Gary, I did a shedload of reading on the net regarding active versus passive and I came up with active wins for me. Yes, I did have a load of hum and RF problems at first but I guess I just had to work through them systematically to get to where I am now. The hum was cured by moving the preamp away from the headamp and the RF was removed using four ferrite clips. I love the loading options using the Rothwell which really have proved how important they are and of course I adore the revelation that is the Denon DL103. I am currently very happy with my sound from vinyl but would secretly love a Rega RP6. Let's just wait and see...!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    There is quite a strong SUT following on this forum (and that's fine obviously - each to their own) but I feel that the virtues of a well designed and implemented head amp have become somewhat overlooked amid the general enthusiasm for the "mystique" of the SUT.
    Lol... Not at all, Gary! We love (and are advocates of) both approaches, when done well. The *only* reason there may have been more discussions about SUTs is simply because, in terms of their existence, they outnumber head amps by about 10,000-1!

Seriously though, just think about how many head amps (of any description) are on the market, compared with SUTs, both new and vintage, and you'll see what I mean. Therefore, it stands to reason that SUTs will receive more attention, especially the good ones - but then check out how many threads there are here about the Lentek, and that's a head amp! I also use a (Paul Hynes) head amp in my own system

No, on AoS we value simply whatever it is that's genuinely GOOD, no matter what that is: valves, solid-state, SUTs, head amps or anything else.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

RothwellAudio Guest

The new phonostage - the Signature Two - was reviewed in last month's Hi-Fi Choice and was very well received. I mention it here because the input stage of the Sig 2 is very similar to a Headspace with the same kind of circuit topology and a very similar discrete component voltage regulator.
    Here's the review if anyone is interested.
    http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co...._review_1.html

I'm Geoff.

Nice review Andrew.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

RothwellAudio Guest

Thanks - I was pretty pleased myself

I'm Mike.

Great review and looks a lovely bit of kit. Well done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast