+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Say no to LMS!

I'm Geoff.

Default Say no to LMS!

Hi,

I have RP2 with Hifi Berry Digi +. All works very well but if possible I would like to get rid of Logitech Media Server on my PC.

Most of my music is FLAC located on a WD My Book Live 3tb. However, I also use Spotify Premium and listen to a few of the better quality Internet Radio channels (i.e. 320k feeds).

I use Picore and OrangeSqeeze to control things.

My question is this: Is there any software that will work without LMS, and, if so, how does it compare to what I am using?

Also, I am considering buying another Pi (RP3) and wondered if there is anything out there that would improve on my DIGI +

Thanks

Geoff

I'm Barry.

Try moode. http://moodeaudio.org/

I use it on my RP3 with a single usb drive, I use to stream from my NAS via wifi but found the usb drive more reliable. You can then use Airplay for spotify etc.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit1cat View Post
    Try moode. http://moodeaudio.org/

I use it on my RP3 with a single usb drive, I use to stream from my NAS via wifi but found the usb drive more reliable. You can then use Airplay for spotify etc.
    Thanks but I have 3tb of FLAC files so USB not really suitable.

Geoff

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Hi,

I have RP2 with Hifi Berry Digi +. All works very well but if possible I would like to get rid of Logitech Media Server on my PC.

Most of my music is FLAC located on a WD My Book Live 3tb. However, I also use Spotify Premium and listen to a few of the better quality Internet Radio channels (i.e. 320k feeds).

I use Picore and OrangeSqeeze to control things.

My question is this: Is there any software that will work without LMS, and, if so, how does it compare to what I am using?

Also, I am considering buying another Pi (RP3) and wondered if there is anything out there that would improve on my DIGI +

Thanks

Geoff
    Most will have a server/client architecture, but they can be implemented in the same device

I've just built an all in one RPi3/Digi+pro/piCorePlayer with LMS single box unit...

Attachment 19342

...the pi3 built a full index of 2.5K FLACed CDs, from a USB powered external 1TB HD, in less than 30 mins, beating my dedicated LMS/QNAP server by 15mins

One can also setup a mountpoint for a NAS, if you're music is stored elsewhere

You can obviously add more piCorePlayers as you go
    Cheers, Will

I'm Barry.

Thanks but I have 3tb of FLAC files so USB not really suitable.

Geoff
    moode should work with your NAS.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Most will have a server/client architecture, but they can be implemented in the same device

I've just built an all in one RPi3/Digi+pro/piCorePlayer with LMS single box unit...

Attachment 19342

...the pi3 built a full index of 2.5K FLACed CDs, from a USB powered external 1TB HD, in less than 30 mins, beating my dedicated LMS/QNAP server by 15mins

One can also setup a mountpoint for a NAS, if you're music is stored elsewhere

You can obviously add more piCorePlayers as you go
    Will, how does that work and does it mean I can access files on my NAS without having to switch my PC on?

Geoff

I'm Will.

Will, how does that work and does it mean I can access files on my NAS without having to switch my PC on?

Geoff
    Absolutely...

I originally bought the pi3 to see if I could use it as an alternative to my QNAP NAS, as QNAP will not easily support LMS beyond 7.7.2, and I wanted a future proof route.

Conveniently PiCorePlayer 3.10 has just been released, the standard installation defaults to a player only, however after a couple of clicks on the web interface, one can expand the SD card, install and activate the latest v of LMS, direct the LMS cache/index to either the SD card, or a mount point (there can be multiple, but the web interface allows for only one currently.

The 'mount points' can either be USB drives, or network drives eg. NAS...

FYI The pi3/LMS combo fully indexed the QNAP flac library, over the network, faster than the QNAP/LMS instance running locally on the NAS, then again it's only 1.2GB single core CPU, and the Pi3 a quad core !!!
    Cheers, Will

I'm James.

JRiver works really well for me.
    Sounds very good and is very flexible. I think it should work with all your requirements.

Jim.

I'm Mike.

Only issue with MoOde is that you can't stream directly from Spotify, airplay works but that's not ideal.

Volumio 2 has a Spotify plugin but it's not perfect either, it works mostly via playlists and certainly nothing like the native Spotify app.

I've been thinking of setting up my spare Pi with piCoreplayer as a dedicated LMS machine so it can stay on 24/7 and just add in the Spotify and Tidal plugins to it.

Mind you I have a Bluesound Node 2 arriving in the next couple of days as that does Spotify and Tidal properly so I'll listen to that before I go the piCoreplayer route.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    JRiver works really well for me.
    Sounds very good and is very flexible. I think it should work with all your requirements.

Jim.

jriver is working for me too. just use a very long cable now. the native jr ios remote app is very decent so can do it all from my seat... spotify too via the spotify apps rather than the web player which doesnt do remote
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread