+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just connected up an old friend, Radford STA25 III

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I have to be honest I think the aesthetics are in the "so ugly it's cool" camp. But ugly they are I'm sure to non hi-fi types.
    I'm not too bothered about aesthetics, proof is that I have a Volvo 340!
    Spendorman

I'm Josie.

I love the look... you need 1960's industrial eyes to appreciate.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Jez.

I happen to have one in for service at the moment... Will add my subjective review when the work is completed... (I made a decision to not hear this legend until it's working A1). This will be the first time I've had the use of one in my own system.... known quantity.. known acoustics etc. I'm so hoping it won't be a let down to not just meet a hero but get to know him.. at least for a few days before it has to go back to it's lucky owner.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm mick.

Should try an Sta -15,the Gz34 rec gives off more heat to keep your room warm and it sounds nice too.[had mine since 1981] Mick
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Many years ago I tried that, to me the difference was not that much, with the other speakers the difference seemed greater. These Rogers speaker things are very revealing, in some respects, more so than the 57's.
    I once compared the Rogers 'BBC Studio Monitors' (a spin-off of the LS3/6s; I believe we've had this discussion before) with the Quad 57s. Very close in sound quality, but I still prefer the Quads.
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by mik_rik View Post
    Should try an Sta -15,the Gz34 rec gives off more heat to keep your room warm and it sounds nice too.[had mine since 1981] Mick
    Strangely enough, all those years ago when I swapped Tannoy 12" Silvers for the STA25, I could have had an STA15 instead. We tried the two amps together and could not really detect any difference, I went for the greater power of the 25.

I have a pair of Quad II's as well, GZ32's in those, could run them to add to the heating!
    Spendorman

I'm mick.

Strangely enough, all those years ago when I swapped Tannoy 12" Silvers for the STA25, I could have had an STA15 instead. We tried the two amps together and could not really detect any difference, I went for the greater power of the 25.

I have a pair of Quad II's as well, GZ32's in those, could run them to add to the heating!
    Yep,sound better than any halogen heater Cheers Mick
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Think the mid and top is better with the 15, the bass is better with the 25.
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Think the mid and top is better with the 15, the bass is better with the 25.
    People have mentioned this over the years, but I wonder how true it is. What puts me off a bit with the STA15 is the GZ34, they seem to fail a bit too often. I wonder if it's really big enough for the 22 Watts (I think) per channel that the 15 can put out.
    Spendorman

I'm mick.

A lot of the modern day '34's are not up to the job,definately recommend a Mullard in there .Just my experience-plus I rest easier not worrying the rec is going to fail and poss taking out the mains tx

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast