+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Road Goes Ever on...........

I'm Mike.

Default The Road Goes Ever on...........

Whilst browsing another Forum, I noticed that a member here had offered a Zyx R100H cartridge to someone who was looking for an MC cart but hadn't replied.

Not being one to think too long on spending I pm'd the seller and a deal was done. I met and collected it yesterday from carruthersq.

Unknown hours, but closeup views of the stylus look very good and it certainly sounds excellent.

My current cartridges include an AT 33PTG II and an Ortofon MC25FL, the purchase of the Zyx was an attempt to give me more bass and to 'fill out' the sound without sacrificing detail. What can I say the Zyx does this brilliantly, the bass now kicks much more, even at low volumes ( I listen to electronic and classic rock at decent volumes mostly ), detail is still there over the AT, in fact I'd say it's slightly better in that you can hear little pieces of music in the overall layer of the music much better and sounds more accurate.

It's set slightly tail down with 2g tracking which sounds right on my Mission 774 arm on the 1210. Not sure if I might try adding a bit of weight at the head to see if that improves it any further, it worked with my AT by adding an 8g brass plate between cart and headshell. I should really buy another mpingo spacer ( can't think WHY I sold the one I had ? )

Currently listening to Ian Boddy - As Above So Below (DiN51) Ltd Ed Vinyl and even though it's at low level ( they're all still in bed here ) and it sounds so much more how I want my music to sound, fast, detailed, real, but with bass that kicks, perfect!

So I'm delighted with the new toy, pretty sure I won't be upgrading it ( well, until the next great deal comes along anyway )

My analogue setup WAS in danger of being sold off in favour of going streaming only, now ..............

Ok now away to listen to Carbon Based Lifeforms - Interloper

Mike.

I'm Grant.

Looks good Mike... Good carts those. Our geoffery loves em
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jonathan.

Great cartridges, I have two. But light! I use the Soundsmith EZ mount screws to add weight.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Looks good Mike... Good carts those. Our geoffery loves em
    I didn't take Geoff up on his offer when he sold his R50 Bloom ( I wish I had ), instead I ended up with the AT 33PTGII not long after that, which is excellent but for my setup and my lugs the Zyx is better.

I now have 3 top quality carts and I will keep the Zyx and sell the Ortofon and AT, don't really see any point in keeping them I'm not a hoarder ( my wife will tell you different lol ). Not fussy for keeping a spare as I can buy a replacement any time I like and the extra carts would be better in someone's else's system giving them the enjoyment of listening to them

I'm Geoff.

Looking good Mike. The 774/ZYX combo works great!!

You'll be looking for a Toshiba SR-370 next!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Really pleased you are enjoying Mike, I thought you would

Nice to meet you yesterday.
    Regards Steve

Funkfirm Little Super Deck with F5 arm
    Audio Technica AT33sa
    Vertere Phono 1
    Naim Supernait 2
    Niam Allae speaker

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Looking good Mike. The 774/ZYX combo works great!!

You'll be looking for a Toshiba SR-370 next!
    After the money I've spent on this 1210 I better bloody not lol

2 and a bit years ago I bought a Rega Brio R amp, a Rega RP3 TT with Rega Elys 2 cartridge and a pair of Usher X718 speakers with Dreadnought stands for a grand total of £1000, then I discovered Hifi Forums on t'internet, from then on I was DOOMED!

Retail on my setup would be just over ten times that initial outlay, breaking out in a cold sweat as I type, god help me if the 'Boss' ever finds out, mind could sell it all tomorrow and not lose very much apart from on the speakers which were bought new as no used ones around at the time, although a used pair came up for sale locally 6 weeks after I took delivery at a third off grrrr, everything else was second hand and would sell at very little or no loss

Does the money matter, nah not in the slightest, I'm going to enjoy it while I can, I ain't taking it with me and my kids can keep it or sell it, it's up to them I won't be here to mind lol

A Tosh 370 you say.............

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by carruthersesq View Post
    Really pleased you are enjoying Mike, I thought you would

Nice to meet you yesterday.
    Yeah, it's perfect for me, can't see me moving it on anytime soon, more power is what I'm hankering after now, oooh those Croft Monos vinyl has for sale are doing my nut in, will I, won't I arghhhhhhhh

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    then I discovered Hifi Forums on t'internet, from then on I was DOOMED!

A Tosh 370 you say.............

Serves you right!

(yes, the SR-370 can still be picked up for what is comparatively 'peanuts')
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Serves you right!

(yes, the SR-370 can still be picked up for what is comparatively 'peanuts')
    Yeah, been watching a few lately, but I've also been looking at Kenwood L07D's and other older TT's on various German and Japanese sites.... Oh nooooooooo!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast