+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power amp advice/opinions needed

I'm Brian.

Default Power amp advice/opinions needed

I'm looking for some opinions regarding my amplifier problem.
    The problem is this. My Densen B310 power amp is back in Denmark to get fixed for the third time since Oct 2007 and with the same recurring fault! So I'm once again thinking of alternatives. The last time this happened (2013) I bought a Musical Fidelity A5 pre and power amp combination with a view to replacing the Densen amps. This didn't happen however as I vastly preferred the sound of the Densen amps so the MF units were sold. I'm now thinking along the lines of buying a British made power amp to compliment the Densen pre amp. Short list is MF Supercharger 550K (yes I know there's a risk here of them sounding the same as the A5), Naim Nap 250-2, Meridian G57 (not readily available secondhand), I had been considering the Meridian 557 but it is not suitable for the 4 ohm load of my loudspeakers (this may raise doubts re the G57 also). I reckon I can stretch to circa £1600. I've currently pressed my old Roksan Caspian integrated into power amp duties while the B310 is away but it's not satisfactory lacking clarity, detail and it is too clumsy or heavy handed in the bass. This makes me nervous about coming away from Densen though I am quite familiar with the Naim sound through a friend and could easily live with that but worried about losing power as I've often thought that I work the Densen power amp too hard. I appreciate that 160 watts and 125 watts into 4 ohms is pretty well no difference but I'd rather be going up the way in power but know watts are no guarantee of satisfaction, the MF power amp had 400+ at 4 ohms but was not for me. So, any suggestions?

I'm Alan.

What speakers are you using Brian? This is going to be more important than anything towards giving advice for a power amp.

I'm Brian.

Hi Alan, Speakers are Dynaudio Audience 82.

I'm Alan.

OK, the important information is 4 ohm, 87dB sensitivity for anyone giving advice.

I'm Martin.

Consider this Avondale amp for sale here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...r-Amp-For-Sale

If I hadn't just bought a Krell I would have snapped this up; at the price asked it is practically giving it away for the quality on offer. Never heard a Densen but I bet it gives very little, if anything, away to them. Chris is a top bloke and won't mess you about.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Consider this Avondale amp for sale here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...r-Amp-For-Sale

If I hadn't just bought a Krell I would have snapped this up; at the price asked it is practically giving it away for the quality on offer. Never heard a Densen but I bet it gives very little, if anything, away to them. Chris is a top bloke and won't mess you about.
    yup, if I was using a pre/power I'd be thinking of this too. Great amp
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quad Artera Stereo, it's called. A Current Dumping, 140 wpc power-amp which will drive any load all day long without breaking sweat. Sounds great and I have compared it to many very 'high end' amps.

I'm andrew.

Default amp

I have a Parasound A21 i will be advertising shortly, only 6 months old, in black. This was designed by John Curl, who designed some of the Mark Levinson gear. 250w into 8 ohm, 400w into 4 ohm, and knocks out 60 amperes of current. The first 10w are class A, and i'm sure somewhere down the line i will be wishing i'd kept it. I'm looking for £1700. Good review on hifipig.

I'm Lawrence.

In terms of the supercharger have you identified if it was the a5 pre or a5 power you didn't like? If just the pre I wouldn't worry. If the power then maybe not a good buy. I understand a lot of people like them as you can plug your power amp into them and boost the output while maintaining the flavour. Slightly dubious claim I suspect or every first watt/single ended valve amp owner would have one.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonata8068 View Post
    I'm looking for some opinions regarding my amplifier problem.
    The problem is this. My Densen B310 power amp is back in Denmark to get fixed for the third time since Oct 2007 and with the same recurring fault! So I'm once again thinking of alternatives. The last time this happened (2013) I bought a Musical Fidelity A5 pre and power amp combination with a view to replacing the Densen amps. This didn't happen however as I vastly preferred the sound of the Densen amps so the MF units were sold. I'm now thinking along the lines of buying a British made power amp to compliment the Densen pre amp. Short list is MF Supercharger 550K (yes I know there's a risk here of them sounding the same as the A5), Naim Nap 250-2, Meridian G57 (not readily available secondhand), I had been considering the Meridian 557 but it is not suitable for the 4 ohm load of my loudspeakers (this may raise doubts re the G57 also). I reckon I can stretch to circa £1600. I've currently pressed my old Roksan Caspian integrated into power amp duties while the B310 is away but it's not satisfactory lacking clarity, detail and it is too clumsy or heavy handed in the bass. This makes me nervous about coming away from Densen though I am quite familiar with the Naim sound through a friend and could easily live with that but worried about losing power as I've often thought that I work the Densen power amp too hard. I appreciate that 160 watts and 125 watts into 4 ohms is pretty well no difference but I'd rather be going up the way in power but know watts are no guarantee of satisfaction, the MF power amp had 400+ at 4 ohms but was not for me. So, any suggestions?
    It's highly suitable for 4R loads! 2R even!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast