+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turntable Oil

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by eksiil View Post
    i hope this is not too offtopic. given the breadth of expertise on display -- does anyone know if turntable oil (in my case a little container of it that came with a Fletcher TT) has a sell-by date?
    In all fairness ,if its not been contaminated (unlikely) I cant see any reason why it would not last for years !!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by eksiil View Post
    i hope this is not too offtopic. given the breadth of expertise on display -- does anyone know if turntable oil (in my case a little container of it that came with a Fletcher TT) has a sell-by date?
    I wouldn't worry. My bottle of 'turntable oil' is over thirty years old and it's just fine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

Hi, apologies for highjacking etc as I know the OP did not (want) mention (of) 'what oils to use'.

For those of us (like me) who haven't oiled their bearings (!) for some time this may be useful (scroll to the bottom)

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=41213

R

I'm ahto.

much obliged for the reassurances. (incidentally, I was told to add a drop or so a year).
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Kevin.

I don't see there being a need to replace the oil very often. You could spot check the condition by removing the bearing spindle and making sure it looks clean.
    I use the AO oil on my Funk Bearing. It comes in a kit with a couple of vials of oil, and all you need to clean it.
    This should last me years, as there is next to nothing to contaminate the oil in the bearing.

If you do clean the bearing, I would suggest against using brake cleaner, it's pretty nasty stuff and you need to wear gloves when using it.
    Isopropyl alcohol would be better.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123