+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turntable Oil

I'm Grant.

Yes i do that a couple of times sometimes too. But it usually doesnt sink far enough down and you dont want to ground the bearing so have to be careful
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Audio Origami turntable bearing oil Kit.
    Wot you need, all the kit and instructions provided!

Used it on my Michell Deck...platter span a helluva lot longer (less friction on the bearing?) than the standard Michell bearing oil, and Michell DO know their stuff!
    This is better and its £20 quid tops...not sure about price I as 'fit and forgot' it a few years ago.

Nice TT by the way.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

Used it on my Michell Deck...platter span a helluva lot longer (less friction on the bearing?) than the standard Michell bearing oil, and Michell DO know their stuff!
    This is better and its £20 quid tops
    it does make me laugh,the prices people charge for a drop of oil for a record player,i used to pay £50 for 5 litres of fully synthetic oil for my bmw m3,now i wonder what is under more stress,the little ball bearing in my TT or the big end shells and pistons etc in the m3 engine which revs to 7500 rpm???
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

This is better and its £20 quid tops...not sure about price I as 'fit and forgot' it a few years ago.

Nice TT by the way.
    Michell intentionally factoring in some mechanical drag, perhaps?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Steve.

Nice TT by the way.
    Thanks Gazjam.
    Regards Steve

Funkfirm Little Super Deck with F5 arm
    Audio Technica AT33sa
    Vertere Phono 1
    Naim Supernait 2
    Niam Allae speaker

I'm Shane.

Just did a quick calculation for the Heybrook TT2. The bearing is a 10mm diameter cylinder with a 10mm ball in the bottom, and the end of the shaft is turned to form a 10mm hemisphere with a very small flat on the end which I ignored for this excercise. Subtracting the volume of the shaft and ball from the volume of the cylinder gives the volume of the void that needs to be filled with oil. Works out at 0.4 ml.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Anto.

Some sewing machine oil
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Steve.

Thanks for the input guys but there appears to be some confusion, my questions were how frequently do you change the oil and how to clean the old oil out. Not which oil to use or the cost of it...
    Regards Steve

Funkfirm Little Super Deck with F5 arm
    Audio Technica AT33sa
    Vertere Phono 1
    Naim Supernait 2
    Niam Allae speaker

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by carruthersesq View Post
    Thanks for the input guys but there appears to be some confusion, my questions were how frequently do you change the oil and how to clean the old oil out. Not which oil to use or the cost of it...
    I am easily confused !!
    I am sure the learned brethren have supplied you with the relevant wisdom !
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm ahto.

i hope this is not too offtopic. given the breadth of expertise on display -- does anyone know if turntable oil (in my case a little container of it that came with a Fletcher TT) has a sell-by date?
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast