+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Cans

I'm Lawrence.

(Amp using the line out with an adaptor of course).

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    If you haven't bought anything yet then wait a minute! Your compression is too high to get decent sound and an insightful pair of cans like these will make it worse. I bought a fiio e12k and preferred the sound of my ipod direct with several cans including planars. Options are, rip the music again at a higher rate, use warmer cans that work on an ipod or get a cheapish tube headphone amp to drive the cans and warm up the digital files.

Thanks.
    I'll rip a couple of fave CDs in Apple Lossless, and see what it gives me!
    Cheers...

Stay Away From the Guard Rails!

I'm Mark.

Well, balls.
    Just discovered these lovely new (used) cans have a fault. When you move/wiggle the wiring coming out of the inline control doobry, the right channel cuts out.
    Dammit dammit dammit..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by M6NTL View Post
    Well, balls.
    Just discovered these lovely new (used) cans have a fault. When you move/wiggle the wiring coming out of the inline control doobry, the right channel cuts out.
    Dammit dammit dammit..

Does it only do it on your iPod, or does it happen on everything? It could just be the jack.

If it's the cable, rewiring them isn't really that hard. Putting a new end on it is really easy if that's all that is wrong. That's usually where they break.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    Does it only do it on your iPod, or does it happen on everything? It could just be the jack.

If it's the cable, rewiring them isn't really that hard. Putting a new end on it is really easy if that's all that is wrong. That's usually where they break.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
    It's where the cable exits the inline volume control toward the right headphone.
    They are presently on their way back to.the eBay seller for a refund - I'm not putting up with that!
    Thanks for the tips though.
    I'm watching another pair now!

I'm Mark.

If you haven't bought anything yet then wait a minute! Your compression is too high to get decent sound and an insightful pair of cans like these will make it worse. I bought a fiio e12k and preferred the sound of my ipod direct with several cans including planars. Options are, rip the music again at a higher rate, use warmer cans that work on an ipod or get a cheapish tube headphone amp to drive the cans and warm up the digital files.

Hi Lawrence,
    Do you have any suggestions WRT cans that might better suit my needs at all?
    Cheers...

I'm Lawrence.

Sorry just saw this if you can stretch to £300 and don't mind heavy cans then the hifiman he500 are awesome. They will need an amp in the long run but I drive mine with a cheap t-amp direct from the speaker outs and it sounds better than £1-200 headphone amps. (Note for anyone reading, a t amp mustn't drive a common ground so there have to be separate +/- from each side.) A cheaper planar alternative and easier to drive is the fostex TxxRP variants, I will probably be selling mine shortly, if you buy new they benefit from a few basic mods.

I'm Mark.

Thanks for the advice Sir, but I'm looking for super portable compromise, best sound I can get. I'm actually about to change my phone for an LG G5 with the plug in DAC and Amp (gets strong reviews, and is now a freebie with the phone). So, I was thinking B&W P3 Series 2???

I'm Grant.

Sorry just saw this if you can stretch to £300 and don't mind heavy cans then the hifiman he500 are awesome. They will need an amp in the long run but I drive mine with a cheap t-amp direct from the speaker outs and it sounds better than £1-200 headphone amps. (Note for anyone reading, a t amp mustn't drive a common ground so there have to be separate +/- from each side.) A cheaper planar alternative and easier to drive is the fostex TxxRP variants, I will probably be selling mine shortly, if you buy new they benefit from a few basic mods.

Whats the fostex like Lawrence
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Got them on right now as I dug them out after posting (they were put away when I bought the HE500s as I preferred the hifimans in a quick A/B. However, listening to them now they are a great pair of cans. The top end is smooth and totally non-fatiguing (possibly rolled off but not in a negative way other than a lack of air compared with the hifiman). Mids do not stand out so pretty neutral, bass is pretty strong but not as powerful as I remember (in an almost overpowering way) I think my new amp is driving them better and tightening up the low end. Despite being the "open" variety (T20RP) they sound more like closed cans. The issue here is they are not really open, I think the open description refers to an open vent that makes the bass stronger. Although they don't vent into the ear as far as I know, somehow the external venting gives the bass a signature like a ported pair of speakers. Despite the smooth response I'm hearing details I haven't noticed before. Overall a very nice pair of cans and great value if you don't mind a closed pair and deep bass. Mine have been modded with a comfort band, velour pads and better cable. Stock they are a bit uncomfortable and the cable ain't great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast