+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm getting a Krell!

I'm Neil.

Now that is a proper Krell. I would recommend partnering it with a Krell KRC-3 or KRC-HR to take advantage of fully balanced.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I know, it's great isn't it? Very happy with mine although it is just a baby compared to the one you are getting. Enjoy!
    What model do you have Martin? When it comes to Krell's, the smaller the better, or so I've heard. Their KSA 50 is magic from what I've read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Now that is a proper Krell. I would recommend partnering it with a Krell KRC-3 or KRC-HR to take advantage of fully balanced.
    Thanks Neil, I've been pondering a good match for a preamp, and of course a Krell does come to mind. I had my hopes up for a nice Audio Research, or BAT, but the owner's manual says that the amp does not play well with tubed preamps. Actually what it says is that the amp is very sensitive to DC offsets, and tube preamps are known for having them. So there is a filter in the amp that can be jumpered into operation, that will allow a tubed pre, but they bypass this filter normally because it does restrict output in some fashion.

Now I know a bit about electronics, and I understand what they are saying, but Krell definitely leans towards a solid state pre. And make the case that things will sound better without engaging this filter.

But I've read of many a system where others use these and other tubed preamps all the time? So I wonder exactly how much of a big deal it really is? That said, a Krell preamp would most certainly make a great match, couldn't go wrong there.

I'm Neil.

The KRC-3 actually has a bit of "the tubes" about it. A warm balance and tremendous bass bloom (not boom). Your amp was designed to complement it. I haven't heard a preamp with more at the bottom end yet. Also the volume control is unique, and ridiculously smooth and present at all volumes, no sweet spots like normal volume pots. It is also fully DC coupled, fully balanced, no capacitors on the signal path and no DC offset.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    What model do you have Martin? When it comes to Krell's, the smaller the better, or so I've heard. Their KSA 50 is magic from what I've read.

I've got the KSA 50S. I'm using a passive pre with it to good effect, something you could consider as an option.

Never heard a Krell before I bought it so had no idea what to expect but it is excellent. It will be staying until it dies or I find something better, although lord knows what that would be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Thanks Neil, I've been pondering a good match for a preamp, and of course a Krell does come to mind. I had my hopes up for a nice Audio Research, or BAT, but the owner's manual says that the amp does not play well with tubed preamps. Actually what it says is that the amp is very sensitive to DC offsets, and tube preamps are known for having them. So there is a filter in the amp that can be jumpered into operation, that will allow a tubed pre, but they bypass this filter normally because it does restrict output in some fashion.

Now I know a bit about electronics, and I understand what they are saying, but Krell definitely leans towards a solid state pre. And make the case that things will sound better without engaging this filter.

But I've read of many a system where others use these and other tubed preamps all the time? So I wonder exactly how much of a big deal it really is? That said, a Krell preamp would most certainly make a great match, couldn't go wrong there.

Nope. Valve pre amps are universally capacitor coupled and unless the output capacitor is faulty have no DC offset.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Nope. Valve pre amps are universally capacitor coupled and unless the output capacitor is faulty have no DC offset.
    You know that's what I thought? I really like the Audio Research LS27, pricey but I love the rear panel, with loads of inputs each with single end and balanced. And of course it has to be remote controlled! And that unit is critically acclaimed. I guess a phone call to Krell will settle that, perhaps they are only referring to some ancient tube gear?

But certainly no flies on the Krell either. I've seen the Phantom III for less than $3K US used, with the built in DAC. That is rather appealing. And it may sell for even less by the time I save up my monies! And those KSA preamps are quite affordable, half that of the Phantom. The KCT is holding its on on price, as much as the Phantom in some cases.
    (My present pre is a Parasound Halo 3, has served me well but I only paid $300 used for it.) so if I wait a year to get a preamp, it will not be an issue. But, I keep my eyes open and if the right deal raises its head I may have to jump on it. There are a few audio/video shops around Richmond Va, but only one true high end shop. And I don't get around like I used to so I do depend on reviews and the recommendations of others. So thanks for those ideas! I've got plenty of time to think on it, never rush to a purchase decision!

I'm Jez.

You know that's what I thought? I really like the Audio Research LS27, pricey but I love the rear panel, with loads of inputs each with single end and balanced. And of course it has to be remote controlled! And that unit is critically acclaimed. I guess a phone call to Krell will settle that, perhaps they are only referring to some ancient tube gear?

But certainly no flies on the Krell either. I've seen the Phantom III for less than $3K US used, with the built in DAC. That is rather appealing. And it may sell for even less by the time I save up my monies! And those KSA preamps are quite affordable, half that of the Phantom. The KCT is holding its on on price, as much as the Phantom in some cases.
    (My present pre is a Parasound Halo 3, has served me well but I only paid $300 used for it.) so if I wait a year to get a preamp, it will not be an issue. But, I keep my eyes open and if the right deal raises its head I may have to jump on it. There are a few audio/video shops around Richmond Va, but only one true high end shop. And I don't get around like I used to so I do depend on reviews and the recommendations of others. So thanks for those ideas! I've got plenty of time to think on it, never rush to a purchase decision!

Valve pres have always been capacitor coupled. The only possible issue with old valve pres is that if the caps haven't been replaced, specifically the output cap, then there is greater chance of DC leakage.
    Fairly rare cases of SS DC coupled gear, especially built with discrete components, and without a DC servo amp, would be the most likely type to drift in their DC offset.... So some of Krells own pres and similar SS gear comes closest to "likely to have offset"! This would be likely only if components had drifted in value with age and heat.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

montesquieu Guest

One thing to be careful of, fully power down and wait till everything is discharged before changing any connections etc. I had a Krell go DC on one channel on me once and it totally fried the cone on a Tannoy 15in Monitor Gold. Went up like the map in the opening credits on Bonanza. It may just have been bad luck that mine went up but I have a suspicion the original spark was caused by an arcing interconnect.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    One thing to be careful of, fully power down and wait till everything is discharged before changing any connections etc. I had a Krell go DC on one channel on me once and it totally fried the cone on a Tannoy 15in Monitor Gold. Went up like the map in the opening credits on Bonanza. It may just have been bad luck that mine went up but I have a suspicion the original spark was caused by an arcing interconnect.
    One should always power down any amp before doing anything to/with it! Especially SS ones. People messing with their amps with the power on is one of the biggest killers of power amps.

An interconnect can't arc BTW as they are usually only bearing a few hundred mV to a Volt or so. If it was intermittently short or open circuit that could cause failure resulting in speaker frying DC offset with some SS amps. As could touching the centre pin of the RCA input leads to the power amp to check if there is mains hum and therefore the amp is on etc. None of these things should cause an issue... but in rare cases they can in practice. Other than the very few OTL valve amps, valve power amps can't go DC and will usually be immune to the other things I mentioned.

I'll not attempt to explain further re the possible issues with SS amps as it's very technical...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast