+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rega brio r versus new Rega brio r 2017?

I'm Patrick.

Default Rega brio r versus new Rega brio r 2017?

Does anyone have experience of the new Rega brio r? Does it sound considerably better than the older version? I've already got a headphone ampflier so the new headphone jack is of little interest to me. Thanks for any advice.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon75 View Post
    Does anyone have experience of the new Rega brio r? Does it sound considerably better than the older version? I've already got a headphone ampflier so the new headphone jack is of little interest to me. Thanks for any advice.
    Going by all of this I'd say it is http://www.whathifi.com/rega/brio/review

I'm Patrick.

Yeah I checked out that review but I'm always a little sceptical when it comes to that publication.

I'm Shane.

Typical What H-Fi

Always lying and exaggerating things!

S.

I'm Robert.

I never judge anything on one review or opinion. It's lots and lots and lots and lots of reviews and views from all over the place. I find that a common theme starts to appear and it's on that basis I'll then decide

I'm Dave.

The new Brio is better than the Brio-r. Not massively so but if you had to choose between the two, you would go with the new model.

The new model is just a bit cleaner, tighter and faster but still with a nice solid and easy going nature. It's a lovely little amp and has been popular here.

I'm Patrick.

Cheers for that Dave. Haven't heard much about the new version so it's useful to learn what you know. What would 'fast' relate to?

I'm Dave.

Speed, dyanamics - not fat and slow.

It's only been out for a few weeks. I was first in the UK to get one just before Christmas, so it's a bit early to see reviews etc but they will come. I'd invite you down for a listen but it's a bit of a trek.

I'm Andreas.

Hmm just got my hands on a new Brio as a very happy user of the 'R'.

Bass improvement in terms of extension, tonality, definition is very impressive. Rhythmically it's very different, certainly snappier. Way better build, I really hate the floppy bendy back panel of the 'R'.

I'm early in my listening but I wonder I wonder if I will make the switch and this is why,

The 'R' sings with unmistakable second harmonic distortion and an ever so slightly grating treble on the brighter productions. I kind of get why they wanted to change this but it's also what made it quite special for me. Not that I necessarily would call myself a lover of a bright sound signature, far from it, but the 'R' makes my brain believe I'm listening to (amplified) music live. The new Rega has more of a comfy rolled off treble which will suit the loud listener very well. For a quarter of a turn listener like me I'm really not sure as the singer sits deeper in the mix and lacks the positive vocal presence that the 'R' sports at these volumes. Some of that second harmonic distortion character seems slightly tamed as well.

All of these are good things objectively of course, I'm just not sure yet if it will make me grin like the 'R' does.
    Allo Digione (w S-Booster)-> Rega DAC -> Rega Elex-R -> Harbeth P3ESR

I'm Andrew.

I didn’t keep mine for long at all .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast