+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rega brio r versus new Rega brio r 2017?

I'm howard.

I found the new brio rolled off at the top and bloated in the bass. It made me fall asleep after a song or 2. It was coupled with the Rega dac so maybe that gave it the sleepy signature.

I'm Andreas.

The Rega Dac is a bit bloated without the right partner yes, I suspect the new Brio would prefer a more analytical rather than warm dac. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an updated Dac in a new case soon.

I wonder what part changed the voicing of the new Brio to this extent. The new metal film capacitors? The muses amplifiers?

I'm warming to the new one it but I'm curious what a Brio-R that only got the new separate power supplies for the output and driver stages would sound like. The improved power availability is really really nice and makes it hard to go back to the 'R'. Still not sure about the new direction in voicing.
    Allo Digione (w S-Booster)-> Rega DAC -> Rega Elex-R -> Harbeth P3ESR

I'm Andreas.

Quote Originally Posted by hayche View Post
    It was coupled with the Rega dac so maybe that gave it the sleepy signature.
    After trying the Beresford SEG I find this very much to be the case.

I think the slightly wet and thick Rega Dac was a perfect companion for the old Brio-R but it really doesn't do the new Brio any favours. With a tighter and higher resolving Dac like the SEG the improvements between the 'R' and new Brio are much more apparent.

There is certainly no lack in presence after switching from Rega Dac to SEG. And the bass is way more powerful and extended, but clean and in no way wet and boomy. The bass actually got curiously good considering the size of the P3ESR's. Wouldn't have guessed they could do definition as low as they do now.
    Allo Digione (w S-Booster)-> Rega DAC -> Rega Elex-R -> Harbeth P3ESR

I'm Martin.

What Hi Fi says the new version is better so thats all you need to know I flick through it Sainsburys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12