+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Likes Aircraft?

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    Im an aviation nut too, was in the CCF at a school and flew chimpmunks at marshalls in Cambridge. I started making model radio control aeroplanes from chipmunks, to piper cubs and a 1/4 scale flair tiger moth which was my biggest - 90 inch wingspan with a 30cc engine. During this time I also joined a gliding club. Learnt to fly k13s, and then flew k6s, astirs at wormingford in colchester. Flew at lasham a few times on holiday, but stopped gliding a while back due to a stressful job and bad health but would like to return to it. Also did half a pilots license on a robin hr200 at earls colne, near colchester, going solo many times. Still mess around with model aeroplanes and electric model gliders in the summer (have a 3 metre multiplex cularis), always go to airshows and sadly was at the shoreham show when the hunter went down. I really hope he doesn't get vilified and criminalised for that accident as it was really just an accident and Andy Hill is a very competent pilot.
    I hope so , but I cant seem to wonder if he will be made responsible !! All airshows have suffered too after such an awful accident , what with insurance hiked to unmanagable proportions !!
    But sadly ,loss of life is a serious thing , and what will drive the way thinks will be ,from now on
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    I hope so , but I cant seem to wonder if he will be made responsible !! All airshows have suffered too after such an awful accident , what with insurance hiked to unmanagable proportions !!
    But sadly ,loss of life is a serious thing , and what will drive the way thinks will be ,from now on

The final AAIB report which came out last week and can be read on the AAIB website is very interesting, but I can't help thinking they are somewhat scapegoating him for not abandoning the loop at the apex. I don't quite understand it because the report commented that flying tests of other hunters had revealed he could have recovered from the apex in 2600 feet and radar returns has him at 2700 feet agl (above ground level) therefore recovery was potentially possible. No comments on effects of warm day and effect on lift of wing in report, it was a very warm Indian summer day. i witnessed it and he went into the first part at 185 feet to apex at 2700 feet quicker than the rotation out of the loop from the apex to the accident. That's just doesn't make sense or wasn't explained. He may not have had a margin clearly but that doesn't mean the accident was primarily that fault, I suspect weather did play a part as it's known the lift coefficient of an aircraft wing is dependant upon air temperature and when he came near the ground I think that played its part with warmer circulating air near ground.I think too the aircraft may have had an engine problem , which the AAIB could not rule out, on the downward part and it's known many hunters have had such unexplained power loss problems as alluded by AAIB. He can't remember a thing from the accident as he was in a coma, but here is one theory . Not reaching his gate height of 3500 feet (the AAIB stated height he needs to complete the bottom part of loop with a 500 feet exit to level flight margin - his display authorisation only allowed display 500 feet above ground) , he had an engine issue not allowing him to reach a greater height. So he pulled out of the apex trying to sort the engine with the knowledge he had the airfield to ditch in, so performed a rolling loop. It just seems inconceivable that an experienced pilot would not reach gate height to give himself a margin. They said he looked down at the instruments from the cockpit camera to suggest he was conscious, but how can they know that from a rear camera of back of his helmet. I think he may have blacked out too which they hypothesised wouldn't be possible, but I'm not so sure. A ex pilot flying limited time in a serious machine compared to his Air Force career.

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Way back when I joined this forum I was building a plinth for my Thorens TD124. I used as the basis for it, 3 layers of 1" MDF which I initially sealed in white paint and then began deciding upon final colour. The colour would be hidden by the outer plinth construction but by turning it upside down reveals the hidden mass of the plinth in its resplendent finished colour.
    I began to formulate the idea for the colour from the body of an old Revox reel to reel tape player, which is moulded in similar fashion the 124 and finished in a nice olive green finish.
    I had a eureka moment one day following a visit to the Elvington Air Museum. If you go on-line you can take an internal tour of their Halifax bomber - (take a look it is marvellous): the colour for my plinth was obvious. It is the colour the RAF used for all aircraft internal finishing.
    The shade is not identical to the Revox but I prefer it anyhow and it has the RAF aircraft association.

13/03/2017 - revised to include photo & reference:

The Revox I mentioned above is the e36 as shown in this photo. I don't own one but felt the curves of the body/chasis were contemporary with those of the TD124. I took a liking to the colour and as stated above, opted for the RAF equivalent to spray my chassis.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4324e9cad7.jpg
    Last edited by Vinyl turner; 14-03-2017 at 00:01. Reason: More information

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    The final AAIB report which came out last week and can be read on the AAIB website is very interesting, but I can't help thinking they are somewhat scapegoating him for not abandoning the loop at the apex. I don't quite understand it because the report commented that flying tests of other hunters had revealed he could have recovered from the apex in 2600 feet and radar returns has him at 2700 feet agl (above ground level) therefore recovery was potentially possible. No comments on effects of warm day and effect on lift of wing in report, it was a very warm Indian summer day. i witnessed it and he went into the first part at 185 feet to apex at 2700 feet quicker than the rotation out of the loop from the apex to the accident. That's just doesn't make sense or wasn't explained. He may not have had a margin clearly but that doesn't mean the accident was primarily that fault, I suspect weather did play a part as it's known the lift coefficient of an aircraft wing is dependant upon air temperature and when he came near the ground I think that played its part with warmer circulating air near ground.I think too the aircraft may have had an engine problem , which the AAIB could not rule out, on the downward part and it's known many hunters have had such unexplained power loss problems as alluded by AAIB. He can't remember a thing from the accident as he was in a coma, but here is one theory . Not reaching his gate height of 3500 feet (the AAIB stated height he needs to complete the bottom part of loop with a 500 feet exit to level flight margin - his display authorisation only allowed display 500 feet above ground) , he had an engine issue not allowing him to reach a greater height. So he pulled out of the apex trying to sort the engine with the knowledge he had the airfield to ditch in, so performed a rolling loop. It just seems inconceivable that an experienced pilot would not reach gate height to give himself a margin. They said he looked down at the instruments from the cockpit camera to suggest he was conscious, but how can they know that from a rear camera of back of his helmet. I think he may have blacked out too which they hypothesised wouldn't be possible, but I'm not so sure. A ex pilot flying limited time in a serious machine compared to his Air Force career.
    It was a bad year for accidents and I don't think the earlier crash involving the Folland Gnat helped the cause of air shows.
    But while on the subject of Gnats (tenuous link intended) I, like others here, grew up in the 60s and many of my memories are of such aircraft. Cast your eye over this and see if you find it a prettier aircraft than the Hawk. Not forgetting of course that it was the Red Arrows workhorse for a good many years.

http://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/wp.../10/Gnat-2.jpg

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl turner View Post
    Cast your eye over this and see if you find it a prettier aircraft than the Hawk. Not forgetting of course that it was the Red Arrows workhorse for a good many years.
    Dunno about the Hawk or Gnat, but this Northrop T-38 Talon is prettier than either:

I'm Kevin.

I prefer the T45, as I have worked on it.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Anto.

The Folland Gnat was a beautiful little plane . Designed by Petter who became a monk later on in life (or so my recall of Douglas Baders 'Tribute to The Raf ' soundtrack remembered him!!)
    I used to frequent the Boulton Paul Society at Wolverhampton ,for some time , about ten yrs ago , and there was a chap who's second name escapes me , but Don to us all , who took a Gnat trainer cockpit to airshows all over till he died a few yrs ago.
    He was telling me (as I sat in it) how it was beneficial to be a slight person to fly the Gnat , because should you need the ejector seat , it was possible to get kneecapped as you banged your way out of the tight confines , catching the rim of the front hood !!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Grant.

Aye he did in France, with a sort of commune. He was an odd character, but very clever. Had some input on the Spitfire too i seem to recall.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast