+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Likes Aircraft?

I'm Shaun.

From being born in 1959 until the end of flying in 1988 I lived on the outskirts of Grimsby just ten miles from RAF Binbrook. For most of those years I remember with some fondness the English Electric Lightning. I remember seeing my first ever above the house in 1965 and the last ever around 1987. I have hundreds of slides of that aircraft at Binbrook along with some other quite rare visiting aircraft. Those truly were the days.

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    From being born in 1959 until the end of flying in 1988 I lived on the outskirts of Grimsby just ten miles from RAF Binbrook. For most of those years I remember with some fondness the English Electric Lightning. I remember seeing my first ever above the house in 1965 and the last ever around 1987. I have hundreds of slides of that aircraft at Binbrook along with some other quite rare visiting aircraft. Those truly were the days.
    The 'Frightening' as she was sometimes known was next best thing to a rocket !!
    The Hawker Hunter is a particular favorite of mine and she should be remembered for being Sydney Camms lovely creation (he designed the Hawker Hurricane before) and not as the plane that caused the Shoreham tragedy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rchC7XBngyI
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Shaun.

Yeah, I saw Hawker Hunters many times at RAF Binbrook along with Buccaneers, Phantoms, Starfighters, Drakens, Alpha Jets, the list just goes on. I once saw a Hunter do a simulated chemical weapons attack over the airfield spraying water from underwing tanks over the technical site. What a way to spend endless summers during the eighties.

I'm Geoff.

Today's offering. Chance-Vought Corsair. Great plane!

I've seen several of these at displays and they fly superbly, fast too. They make distinct a howling noise as they dive under acceleration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7lqMWUOyD0
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Here's one for Sunday. A bit of fun, a largish transport plane being chucked about something silly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTn6JiU2J6U
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Here's something a bit special for plane fans. Very rare WW2 Focke Wulf 190 giving a display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkWnHma45fk

I'm Alan.

I'm wading my way through the PPRuNe thread on Concorde at the moment, a page or two every day. Only up to page 21 but it is truly fascinating.

Her is one of the best quotes so far from one of the stewardesses:

'On landing in Toronto after a very gusty approach, the skipper put her down a bit sharpish.

A senior royal gentleman to the skipper on leaving the aircraft,"Wonderful flight, thank you. And if the company want to know where the undercarriage is, it's up my a**e."

True to form. (Touches nose. No names. )'

Brilliant, can't think which HRH it might be

Can really ............

I'm Mark.

Ladies & gentlemen may I indulge in something I hope you appreciate ....

You may have seen this clip before but hopefully not. Please bear with the intro - and keep watching.
    I have read your various posts with interest as planes and hifi are high up amongst my passions.
    I recall one book (nothing to do with the youtube clip attached) written by a pilot from WWII who mainly flew Spitfires and his last story concerned his squadron being posted to Burma after the war in Europe finished. They were RAF pilots and had bee issued/converted to the Griffon engined Spits (is that the MkXIV) and were assigned to an invasion force that were due to undertake a sea assault. Fortuntely they never had to attack as the war ended but they were on board a Naval aircraft carrier and he recalled the first practice flight.
    It sounded horrendous as the engine was so powerful that the torque pulled the nose of the aircraft in the direction of the prop rotation. The problem being that the Merlin engines spun anti-clockwise, whereas the Griffon spun clockwise: this was not only unusual and not what they were used to but when they were lined up on the flight deck it was in the direction where all the superstructure of the ship stood. The whole group of them were frightened to death as they had to run the engines up to full power to gain speed for take off, then release the brakes and fight against the torque that was pulling them straight towards the superstructure. They all managed it but it was a hell of a struggle , especially against such a powerful engine.
    Anyway, hope you like the star of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itsNH_Pmfck

I'm Simon.

Im an aviation nut too, was in the CCF at a school and flew chimpmunks at marshalls in Cambridge. I started making model radio control aeroplanes from chipmunks, to piper cubs and a 1/4 scale flair tiger moth which was my biggest - 90 inch wingspan with a 30cc engine. During this time I also joined a gliding club. Learnt to fly k13s, and then flew k6s, astirs at wormingford in colchester. Flew at lasham a few times on holiday, but stopped gliding a while back due to a stressful job and bad health but would like to return to it. Also did half a pilots license on a robin hr200 at earls colne, near colchester, going solo many times. Still mess around with model aeroplanes and electric model gliders in the summer (have a 3 metre multiplex cularis), always go to airshows and sadly was at the shoreham show when the hunter went down. I really hope he doesn't get vilified and criminalised for that accident as it was really just an accident and Andy Hill is a very competent pilot.

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    Im an aviation nut too, was in the CCF at a school and flew chimpmunks at marshalls in Cambridge. I started making model radio control aeroplanes from chipmunks, to piper cubs and a 1/4 scale flair tiger moth which was my biggest - 90 inch wingspan with a 30cc engine. During this time I also joined a gliding club. Learnt to fly k13s, and then flew k6s, astirs at wormingford in colchester. Flew at lasham a few times on holiday, but stopped gliding a while back due to a stressful job and bad health but would like to return to it. Also did half a pilots license on a robin hr200 at earls colne, near colchester, going solo many times. Still mess around with model aeroplanes and electric model gliders in the summer (have a 3 metre multiplex cularis), always go to airshows and sadly was at the shoreham show when the hunter went down. I really hope he doesn't get vilified and criminalised for that accident as it was really just an accident and Andy Hill is a very competent pilot.
    I hope so , but I cant seem to wonder if he will be made responsible !! All airshows have suffered too after such an awful accident , what with insurance hiked to unmanagable proportions !!
    But sadly ,loss of life is a serious thing , and what will drive the way thinks will be ,from now on
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast