+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alan Parsons Project.

I'm Dimitris.

You are talking about personal preference.
    You cannot judge a musical genius or anyone else for that matter by using what you enjoy as an argument.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Shaun.

Ah but that is the problem with any Hi-Fi/music discussion isn't it...? I know what I like (geddit) as does everyone else and never the twain shall meet. That is one of the reasons I keep my music friends very close because we share the same passion. We are stirred emotionally by very similar things. We adore the intricacy of playing in Prog Rock because these guys show off so well and make the whole concept just so easy in the same way classical music is about openly showing off the skills of the composer and the virtuoso playing the piece. The similarities are striking but a lot of Prog Rock contains the most amazing melodies and hook lines. Also, for me, it is about never playing in 4/4 time

I'm Geoff.

I think that it is possible to distinguish between the subjective (personal preferences) and the objective (technical proficiency). My coolness regarding much progrock is that it is technically proficient but (for me) lacks emotion so that I cannot connect with it in the way I would with other genres. Totally subjective, but isn't that the point of music: to find a point of engagement and immersion!

Geoff

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    You are talking about personal preference.
    You cannot judge a musical genius or anyone else for that matter by using what you enjoy as an argument.
    Oh yes I can!! I can consider many composers as mere journeymen or women and not genius at all. This is very clearly influenced by the fact that I like them or not. The fact that others consider them a genius has no relevance in my reality!

I'm Dimitris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Oh yes I can!! I can consider many composers as mere journeymen or women and not genius at all. This is very clearly influenced by the fact that I like them or not. The fact that others consider them a genius has no relevance in my reality!
    Well personal reality does not particularly help in a constructive discussion about objective facts, does it?
    There's no arguement that can reply constructively to "I do not like 4/4s and Beethoven is not a genius because I find him boring and that's my reallity"

We have to find some middle ground that we all can work with.

For example I can say that I find baroque silly because I have connected it with 80s erotic movies. That's my reallity. That does not make Geminiani any less awesome
    Last edited by dimkasta; 09-02-2017 at 13:26.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Steve.

I have the first 3 AP albums still.

The 1st was one of those albums that Radio Caroline /mi amigo whatever used to play all the time. I loved it then and I loves it now.

The 2nd and 3rd albums I bought because I loved the 1st though interest was decreasing,

I've picked up played and returned most of the rest of their output to the carboot.

As for Eye of the Sky I regret to say it just bores me.

If anyone here has never heard "Tales of Mystery" think of this coming out of your AM tranny on a dark windy and very mundane weekday evening:-

Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    Well personal reality does not particularly help in a constructive discussion about objective facts, does it?
    There's no arguement that can reply constructively to "I do not like 4/4s and Beethoven is not a genius because I find him boring and that's my reallity"

We have to find some middle ground that we all can work with.

For example I can say that I find baroque silly because I have connected it with 80s erotic movies. That's my reallity. That does not make Geminiani any less awesome
    Here lies the problem with subjective judgement!

It is actually impossible to have a constructive discussion. It just goes round and round.

I wonder if you can measure............

I'm bob.

Just arrived chez moi, the remastered box set (11?) of Alan Parsons Project cd's.
    Have not listened yet!

I'm Grant.

Takes all tastes fortunately, or we would all maybe be listening to john denver
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Takes all tastes fortunately, or we would all maybe be listening to john denver
    When I said play any song .......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast