+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Parsons Project.

I'm Nodrog.

Yup, I have a playlist of Beatles tracks that only runs to about ten songs that I play regularly. Most music is of its time and not much seems to wear well.

Classical,baroque and jazz seem ageless but prog rock I just never listen to any more. Genesis, King Crimson whatever, just no relevance, time has moved on.

It's Lady GaGa and the like now apparently.

Then again, Genesis is not that bad.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Yup, I have a playlist of Beatles tracks that only runs to about ten songs that I play regularly. Most music is of its time and not much seems to wear well.

Classical,baroque and jazz seem ageless but prog rock I just never listen to any more. Genesis, King Crimson whatever, just no relevance, time has moved on.

It's Lady GaGa and the like now apparently.

Then again, Genesis is not that bad.
    I agree. It's like 1970's sitcoms. We watched them because there were no other choices and we knew no better. Watch them now and it's Squirmsville!

I'm Geoff.

Having said that, I have a number of vinyl prog rock albums in excellent condition if there is any interest?

Geoff

I'm Shaun.

For me personally it has to be 'Tales of Mystery and Imagination' on vinyl. I do love 'Eye in the Sky' as well but found that it was a bit soft and poppy at that point.

I'm Shaun.

Regarding the trend discussion going on, I find any form of classical music staid and way past its time which most of it clearly is. As with most things we all have to progress and move on. The Beatles to me were nothing but a cheap boy band set way apart from the likes of the Yardbirds at that time. I find it amusing that Prog Rock is continually slaughtered for its intricacies and dexterity show-offishness yet classical music is about little else. Each to their own I guess.

I'm Geoff.

I'm not a big fan of classical music but I can appreciate the skill that went into it's creation and goes into it's performance. Neither am I a fan of most progrock which I believe has not/will not stand the test of time.

The Beatles are an interesting case. I am a fan but I recognise that not all of their output was great or some even good! They were a product of their time and subject to the same commercial pressures that Colonel Parker brought to bear on Presley: the pressure to conform to middle of the road consumers and the taste of middle aged white males. A lot of the Beatles output has the flavour of music hall and light entertainment. It took some time for the "beat ensemble" to find their feet and to produce their best work. However, even in the early years they demonstrated significant creativity by fusing elements of R&R, blues, soul and Motown.

Geoff

I'm Dimitris.

Not my cup of tea, but it's hard to argue against them.

Everyone above 30 should have whistled along with Eye in the sky at least a dozen of times
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Paul.

Not a great fan of classical either, although I do enjoy more modern music played by a good classical orchestra.

Never did like The Beatles work or The Rolling Stones or U2 or David Bowie.
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Dimitris.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Prog Rock is continually slaughtered for its intricacies and dexterity show-offishness yet classical music is about little else. Each to their own I guess.
    I think it's the avant-guardness that is slaughtered usually.
    The same happened with many classical pieces when they were first released.

But it's hard to argue with the genious of Bethoven when he blows our mind with a 3 note pattern variation. The performer's prowess is irrelevant.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    I think it's the avant-guardness that is slaughtered usually.
    The same happened with many classical pieces when they were first released.

But it's hard to argue with the genious of Bethoven when he blows our mind with a 3 note pattern variation. The performer's prowess is irrelevant.
    Ah but it is. That's the problem with discussions like this. Personal preferences are all.

I listen to Baroque and Jazz mostly. Bach being beyond genius. Beethoven I can listen to almost without involvement or appreciation. Mozart...lightweight twaddle. Most of the Romantic era leaves me cold whereas Shostakovic or Ravel or Saint Saens are great. The fact that someone else finds them boring or no relevance is no more important than the fact that I find Prog Rock desperately trying to be more than it really is

Safer to stick to kettle leads and crystals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast