+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Alan Parsons Project.

I'm Dimitris.

It was a summarization of Gordon's argument.
    I apologize if I misused the quotes but I do not think I changed the meaning of what he said.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I think there became a generis 'APP Sound' which was fully diluted into the 'Ladyhawk' soundtrack, but apart from this, it's some of the songs that got me. The songs from Ammonia Avenue and Vulture Culture were as much about a couple breaking up and the aftermath I think. I was still single at the time, but these songs mean far more to me now, especially 'Don't Answer Me,' which on the face of it, is a Phil Spector pastiche... In the early eighties, I began a lifelong friendship with a chap older and far more life-travelled than me. The song 'The Traveller' still means a lot to me because of this ('One day, you'll know who you are.').

Maybe this is why each of us develop distinct musical tastes to suit various moods and times of our life.... My Lord I've been sooo close to this below and type this with tears in my eyes (amazing how the power of music can move you)-

'If you believe in the power magic
    I can change your mind
    And if you need to believe in someone
    Turn and look behind
    When we were living in a dream world
    Clouds got in the way
    We gave it up in a moment of madness
    And threw it all away

Don't answer me
    Don't break the silence, don't let me in.
    Don't answer me,
    Stay on your island, don't let me win.

Run away and hide from everyone
    Can you change the things we've said and done........

If you believe in the power of magic
    It's all a fantasy
    So if you need to believe in someone
    Just pretend it's me
    It ain't enough that we meet as strangers
    I can't set you free
    So will you turn your back forever on what you mean to me?

Don't answer me..........'
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Good debate chaps. Very healthy indeed. My view remains the same as my op. I accept and agree with the majority of comments above though i still enjoy around 75% of the Alan Parsons/project back catalogue. Yes, in the year 2017 they do sound contrived and a little dated. So do many other artists as stated. This does not prevent me from enjoying them one bit.

I'm gary.

Alan parsons albums tend to be well produced so sound good on most systems.

I'm Shaun.

Personally, I think that the APP's music, if it is indeed Prog Rock, is a very diluted version of what Progger's actually get inspired by. Given the end of Prog and this dilution effect I now spend most of my music time listening to and re-inventing those classic Prog moments from the classic albums as do most of us with our own particular genre. To replace that old Prog feeling I spend my time these days listening to various Ozric Tentacles albums. Their music continues to 'do it' for me. I have a particular passion for 'Erpland' and 'Pulgent Effulgent'. If that is what Prog Progged into then I still love it.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by sparcki View Post
    Alan parsons albums tend to be well produced so sound good on most systems.
    Yeah, gotta agree with this statement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345