+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Alan Parsons Project.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Here lies the problem with subjective judgement!

It is actually impossible to have a constructive discussion. It just goes round and round.
    Having subjective preferences is fine, obviously, and it can also be entertaining to discuss them - though you are right that a discussion like that often leads nowhere. But the problems start where someone clothes their subjective judgement as an objective statement - as you did in disputing Beethoven's greatness. I don't particularly get on with all of Beethoven (or massed orchestral music generally - the texture can be a bit impenetrable) but that does not mean he is not great. The level of my personal enjoyment of Beethoven's music tells the world nothing about whether he was a genius or not - and neither does yours (unless of course you have a grasp of musical composition and performance at the same level as Monteverdi / Bach / Mozart / Schubert / Britten, in which case I will happily withdraw my remarks)

We need to learn the difference between saying "I don't like this" and "this isn't much good". Too many people use the latter when they should really be using the former.
    IB

I'm Neil.

I think for me, there is a degree of sameness about Alan Parson Projects music, a lot of it sounds very like other songs. Yes there are stand out tracks but not that many. I know this can be said of other artists, even ones I really like but, and I was thinking about this earlier today, and for me personally that is why I am not a bigger fan.

I am going to have a listen to the APP albums I have and see if my view changes as it has been an age since I last had a listen.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    Having subjective preferences is fine, obviously, and it can also be entertaining to discuss them - though you are right that a discussion like that often leads nowhere. But the problems start where someone clothes their subjective judgement as an objective statement - as you did in disputing Beethoven's greatness. I don't particularly get on with all of Beethoven (or massed orchestral music generally - the texture can be a bit impenetrable) but that does not mean he is not great. The level of my personal enjoyment of Beethoven's music tells the world nothing about whether he was a genius or not - and neither does yours (unless of course you have a grasp of musical composition and performance at the same level as Monteverdi / Bach / Mozart / Schubert / Britten, in which case I will happily withdraw my remarks)

We need to learn the difference between saying "I don't like this" and "this isn't much good". Too many people use the latter when they should really be using the former.
    IB
    Well, my statement about genius what a bit tongue in cheek as in "oh yes I can" I couldn't find a TIC smiley.

MY reaction was to the fact that a statement was made that "who cannot be moved" or something of the sort. Me!

My musical greatness is still waiting to be discovered. Bring on Groundhog Day!

I'm Grant.

Disliked APP stuff in the day have to say. Thought it drivel. Not listened since tbh, and unlikely to unless thrust upon me. But that doesnt mean its shit or rubbish, just that it was/is to me.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I think for me, there is a degree of sameness about Alan Parson Projects music, a lot of it sounds very like other songs. Yes there are stand out tracks but not that many. I know this can be said of other artists, even ones I really like but, and I was thinking about this earlier today, and for me personally that is why I am not a bigger fan.

I am going to have a listen to the APP albums I have and see if my view changes as it has been an age since I last had a listen.
    Yup,.

To me his genius - if such it be - was in production. A very talented musician too but not a great composer. There are hundreds of bands / musicians out there who are very good indeed but few rise to the very top. Just look at orchestra players. Not in my wildest dreams could I attain the standards they have reached. But good as they are, they are not the one out the front in the spotlight. Who knows sometimes exactly what the one out front has because there are quite a few who somehow leave me cold.

I rate Alan Parsons as a good orchestra player who used his fame from production to get some recording time. The example earlier sort of sums it up for me. OK but nothing to sit and go wow about.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Disliked APP stuff in the day have to say. Thought it drivel. Not listened since tbh, and unlikely to unless thrust upon me. But that doesnt mean its shit or rubbish, just that it was/is to me.
    Perhaps that's the point to wrap up this APP thread: "I know it's not complete and utter shit, but that's the smell I recall every time I hear it!"

A happy balance between objectivity and subjectivity!

I'm Steve.

My musical greatness is still waiting to be discovered. Bring on Groundhog Day!
    Groundhogs now there WAS a band
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre De Grenoble View Post
    Groundhogs now there WAS a band
    Regards Neil

I'm Dimitris.

Well, my statement about genius what a bit tongue in cheek as in "oh yes I can" I couldn't find a TIC smiley.

MY reaction was to the fact that a statement was made that "who cannot be moved" or something of the sort. Me!
    I see what you did there

I said that about the 2-3 notes pattern in Beethoven's 5th. That it can blow your mind.
    But it was not because it moves me or that I enjoy listening to it. It is about the fact that it is a 2-3 note pattern moved and repeated around the scales, literally as a musical exercise or as some kind of pretentious bragging about composition understanding. Call that boring or whatever you want, but it is genious even if it is boring to some of us.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    "I do not like 4/4s and Beethoven is not a genius because I find him boring and that's my reallity"
    Why put this in quotation marks when no one actually quoted it...?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast