+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Mission 774 on a Logic DM 101...advise, possible improvements for the arm ?

I'm Torsten.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I've sent you a DM in regards to the red 4 pin connector
    Hi Oliver, pm replied,,many thanks !

I'm Torsten.

Quote Originally Posted by uzzy View Post
    The Mission 774 is a classic (the low mass one with silicon damping trough) .. if you are suffering from counterweight sag this can be rectified by applying silicon sealant carefully to the void it adheres to the sorbothane and the metal and does the job a treat .. I have repaired a few counterweights this way .. Performance doesn't degrade doing this and Mission themselves moved to a solid metal counterweight.
    Hi David,
    thanks for the heads up.
    I've seen Shanes thread about this and already checked it out a bit, in case of a needed repair this will be very helpful.

Personally this sorbothane damping of the cw does seem to make sense to me;
    also I personally more and more like the idea to have the arm just in the way John Bicht had it wanted to be.
    It's just a thought, but if...say the arm had always had a solid counterweight in masses of numbers produced,
    and just a tiny few models with sorbothane in the end of production,
    I would not be the least astonished if many people would start to want exactly those sorbothane originals..
    Just a thought no criticism..

I'm Torsten.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    You might find this interesting. It also shows my 774 fitted with the eBay plug and socket. In fact it has ten pins, not five, using two for each connection and halving contact resistance which is already low due to the gold plating. The five pin configuration also allowed me to wire fully balanced connections to my SUT, significantly reducing him.
    Hi Shane,
    that's indeed interesting, thanks !
    Is the modification reversible by 100%,,,did you have to modify the hole in the arm's mouting plate to use this 5 pin connection, or did it just fit fine into the hole that is there already ?

I'm Shane.

No modification needed, it just slots straight in. Dead easy!
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Geoff.

significantly reducing him
    Why, what did he do to you?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

You really don't want to know....
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Torsten.

The Mission 774 arrived by post this morning & it looks I could hardly have any more luck.
    It's obviously been treated with greatest care for from the time it was bought, its absolutely clean, no dents, no scratches...nothing.
    It is complete, even in the bypack all screws and all 3 paddels.
    The starte of the sobothane counterweigth astonishingly is like new, not sagged, not loose..I could not tell it apart from a new one.
    The headshell is not drilled through & I hope the threads in there are ok, too.
    Only the red 'Mission 774' logo on he head seems a bit bleached out, so the once orange is tending much into a yellow tone already.
    Apart from that, it's simply amazing.

I was astonished how small it appeared in reality compared to my imagination having seen the pictures.
    And then also impressed what authority the small mechanical unit is sending out.
    Every single piece of it seems develloped to a point to just and simply do what it's supposed to & nothing more.
    And with no compromise or any care given that no other unit designed for the same purpose looks even remotely similar.
    That's class.
    It is both, light and heavy the same.
    I'm impressed,,,pictures will follow later on.

For now I have a few questions & need a bit of help if possible..
    I sat the deck on the table when the Mission was unpacked & did a quick check what exactly keeps me from running the deck now.
    When I thought of damping fluid, the Zyx quite a few of you are running on the 774 & I had the idea to
    fit my Zyx (temporarily) with your 'receipe' instead of the Troika with momentary stepping in the dark.
    I may swap to the Troika later on when I am used to the arm a bit,
    but for now as a starter, a known working concept ofc would simplify things a lot..

So, can I have a tip, which paddel, which viscosity of silicone damping fluid you use, and ~how much additional weight on the cart incl. silly putty ?

2) The threads in the headshell..
    I don't want to destroy them if they are still intact.
    Am I correct that's not a metric thread in there ? What is it called the thread..? A British norm I suppose ?

I'd need the total usable depth if I want to order cartridge screws.
    The more of the thread in the alloy I use, the less risk will be there to pull the threads out and ruin them.
    So for those who have spare 774 tonearms and the correct screws at hands,
    could one of you tell me the total usable depth of this thread by putting a screw in and measure ?

Would be very nice,,,by that + the screw section in the Zyx I can get the near-perfect length of screws ordered.

That's it...cart screws, damping fluid, additional weigth, silly putty,
    then 4 sunk screws with inbus that fit exactly the TA socket. (will need to take the subchassis out to measure and do this properly)
    cut the British mains plug and fit a German version.

Then I should be ready to go...

I'm Torsten.

No modification needed, it just slots straight in. Dead easy!
    That's great,,,thanks !

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by torstoi View Post
    Every single piece of it seems develloped to a point to just and simply do what it's supposed to & nothing more.
    Exactly right!

Glad you've found yourself a nice one. Have fun with it, it's a great arm .

Experiment with the fluid damping, if you have thick silicone fluid, you can thin it with silicone oil.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by torstoi View Post
    The Mission 774 arrived by post this morning & it looks I could hardly have any more luck.
    It's obviously been treated with greatest care for from the time it was bought, its absolutely clean, no dents, no scratches...nothing.
    It is complete, even in the bypack all screws and all 3 paddels.
    The starte of the sobothane counterweigth astonishingly is like new, not sagged, not loose..I could not tell it apart from a new one.
    The headshell is not drilled through & I hope the threads in there are ok, too.
    Only the red 'Mission 774' logo on he head seems a bit bleached out, so the once orange is tending much into a yellow tone already.
    Apart from that, it's simply amazing.

I was astonished how small it appeared in reality compared to my imagination having seen the pictures.
    And then also impressed what authority the small mechanical unit is sending out.
    And with no compromise or any care given that no other unit designed for the same purpose looks even remotely similar.
    That's class.
    It is both, light and heavy the same.
    I'm impressed,,,pictures will follow later on.

For now I have a few questions & need a bit of help if possible..
    I sat the deck on the table when the Mission was unpacked & did a quick check what exactly keeps me from running the deck now.
    When I thought of damping fluid, the Zyx quite a few of you are running on the 774 & I had the idea to
    fit my Zyx (temporarily) with your 'receipe' instead of the Troika with momentary stepping in the dark.
    I may swap to the Troika later on when I am used to the arm a bit,
    but for now as a starter, a known working concept ofc would simplify things a lot..

So, can I have a tip, which paddel, which viscosity of silicone damping fluid you use, and ~how much additional weight on the cart incl. silly putty ?

2) The threads in the headshell..
    I don't want to destroy them if they are still intact.
    Am I correct that's not a metric thread in there ? What is it called the thread..? A British norm I suppose ?

I'd need the total usable depth if I want to order cartridge screws.
    The more of the thread in the alloy I use, the less risk will be there to pull the threads out and ruin them.
    So for those who have spare 774 tonearms and the correct screws at hands,
    could one of you tell me the total usable depth of this thread by putting a screw in and measure ?

Would be very nice,,,by that + the screw section in the Zyx I can get the near-perfect length of screws ordered.

That's it...cart screws, damping fluid, additional weigth, silly putty,
    then 4 sunk screws with inbus that fit exactly the TA socket. (will need to take the subchassis out to measure and do this properly)
    cut the British mains plug and fit a German version.

Then I should be ready to go...
    It's not metric, that is correct but with a bit of care I've found most threads fit. If in doubt use some oil. Very light oil and only the smallest amount. Try a few different ones without the cartridge for testing.

I don't know the total depth of the thread but I do have some I will use when my new wand arrives. I'll measure them when I fit the ZYX and let you know. I think it's 7mm total thread.

Again, it's trial and error with the damping fluid too. Go for the medium paddle first and swap them around. Usually I think most of is have the paddle just touching the top of the silicone rather than being submerged.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast