+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Mission 774 on a Logic DM 101...advise, possible improvements for the arm ?

I'm Ralph.

Torstoi, correct dressing of the external arm cable is extremely important on any suspended sub chassis turntable. The cable should always be regarded as part of the suspension system. Correct dressing not only allows free movement of the sub chassis but can also be used to limit unwanted movement too. I'm sure you're aware of this but I still think it's important to mention it.
    Ralph.

I'm Torsten.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    Torstoi, correct dressing of the external arm cable is extremely important on any suspended sub chassis turntable. The cable should always be regarded as part of the suspension system. Correct dressing not only allows free movement of the sub chassis but can also be used to limit unwanted movement too. I'm sure you're aware of this but I still think it's important to mention it.
    Hi Ralph,

yes, well, I'm aware of the theory that the arm cable is considered as part of the suspension by some.
    Particularly I think that's part of the classic Linn philosophy regarding the LP12 as far as I know it.
    I have a different theory about this & I think the ideal state of suspension would be with no cable attached at all.
    I'll try to come up with a solution to this that's as clse as any possible to the subchassis 'seeing' nearly no cable mass or limitation in move by cable.

I don't know if I'm right or not & will report about result, even if I find it being a failure.
    I expect the DM101 be even more crtical in this respect than the LP12, so it is hence an even more ideal platform for putting my theory to test.

I received a light blowback already as I ordered the same nice record clamp as those
    beautiful Toshiba's show incl. level bubble.

This level gauge clamp sent my suspension to the ground like a knocked out boxer straight.. :P

Lesson learnt: The DM101 is not a Toshiba.

So a lighter, minimalistic acryl gauge is on the wishlist now,
    then maybe a mat will add onto that, up to now I made good results with certain cork granulate mats with the LP12, or with alloy platters, we'll see.

Then the arm + clamp + mat + average LP will give a certain inballance on the suspension
    & I'll have to have an altered (probably lighter) add-on counterweigth on the bottom left side of the subchassis.
    The current CW is a screw-on steel affair & changing that to something a bit lighter is no big deal,
    ultimately the thing has to be in an equally weigth loaded ballance sitting straight and level.
    (all w/o any cable attached)

Has to move nicely...and only then comes the cable.
    We'll see how this works out..

Cheers, T

I'm Ralph.

Hello Torstoi, I'm interested to see how you get on with your DM101 turntable. I didn't realise it was so long ago when I last played with one of these. I never owned one but I spent a few evenings with a couple of friends who had this same turntable but always seemed to have suspension problems. I believe the later decks were modified to cure this but I never had the pleasure of one of those. I have several nice turntables but I think I can feel an itch to add another
    Ralph.

I'm Torsten.

Hi Ralph,
    yes, well, it's quite common my projects are not finsihed in an absolute speedy manner, as I have phases with more spare time available & then pases where I get caugth up by daily task buiz.
    But I'm getting ahead step by step & should show sonic results anytime soon I think.
    I'm no expert with the DM101 of course, but a common sense view from the top to the subchassis gives an idea that this particular deck has a VERY sensible suspension
    & hence my thought is, it will react quite sensible to changes in the weigth positioning in relation to the respective 3 suspension points.
    So different arms (not too heavy if possible as far as I understoof up to now), platter mat and possible clamps will demand particular attention
    in the sense of ballancing out the whole suspension system to the working point that had been aimed on by it's designers.
    Otherwise, I think results will not nearly show what the deck is capable of.

From the plain constructive aspects, I already said this looks quite promissing, as for example the chassis as such has constructive attributes
    in a way that problematic zones that are calling for some attention with the LP12 for instance - are not even existant.

I said I'll compare this to the LP12 & Ekos 1 with the identical type of MC cart and also phono stage,
    you may wait for the result I get if you like.

These decks are not really common, but if you want one, they do come up from time to time,
    so I wouldn't consider it a huge issue to get one for a fair price.

As said I have no sonic results up to now as I don't want to listen to an unballanced deck until it's really properly set up,
    but my expectation from what I perceive in attributes at hand suggests it could have potential to excellent vfm,
    particularly in relation to LP12 perhaps.

Either way, if you're interested...all I can say up to now is that it's a very nice project to adapt your thougths to,
    and if you pay respect and understanding to what the deck 'wants' in terms of TA choice and mass applied,
    it may well be capable of delivering astonishing results, particularly within the class of what it typically costs s/h,
    and maybe even beyond that.

If you pull the trigger on one, be invited to join in here with your results & build, or make an own thread if you wish..

Kind regards, T

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011