+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mission 774 on a Logic DM 101...advise, possible improvements for the arm ?

I'm Jez.

774 seems to work fine with any cart. I'd be amazed if it did not work well with a Troika.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Torsten.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I seem to recall that the 774 has pre-loaded ABEC 9 rated bearings so as good as it gets on that...
    Hi Jez,
    good to know, that sounds rather promising !

Bigman80 Guest

No arguing, just an opinion mate and as I have realised, many people here have more experience than me so I am always humble with my opinion.

I am sure your enthusiasm will push you to seek out the best combination and I'll be waiting to see how it all develops.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    My experience of the 774 is not as described above.
    I'd love to compare it with an Alphasson though.

mine isn't either,finish was good on the 2 i had and sold,the alphason hr1000 on the other hand is going no where!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    mine isn't either,finish was good on the 2 i had and sold,the alphason hr1000 on the other hand is going no where!
    How good is it Jamie? I am totally besotted with its looks and may consider selling a few bits (maybe even the mission &#129300 to get one.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    How good is it Jamie? I am totally besotted with its looks and may consider selling a few bits (maybe even the mission ��) to get one.

id say better,not a a huge amount though,price wise you are looking at £500.
    i just love mine,although some hate the way it looks.
    ive not had a lot of tonearms through my hands,(linn basik plus,ittok,774) but my such ended with the alphason.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

I knew you'd say that lol, ye I don't think I'll ever sell the mission. I might have to do some saving.

I'm Torsten.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have three 774 arms and none have bearing issues. The finish is perfectly adequate, even if it does not have the 'scientific instrument' look of fancy Japanese arms. Yes, it is a low mass arm, but the fluid damping counteracts that, providing a resistance for the cantilever suspension to work against instead of using mass to do this. Although, as Oliver says, mass can be added if desirable. I've had no end of stiff, low compliance cartridges sounding excellent in this arm.
    Yes, well, I'm very confident I'm in for a very positive surprise with the 774.
    Besides, I simply LOVE it's looks, optically, to me the DM101 & Mission 774 look like made for another.
    So for now, should not anything unexpected happen, I'm set for 744 do not see myself deviding this team any soon.

No reason though to not let the SME 309, or IV remotely on the radar to try this should an opportunity open up to borrow one,
    if just to see what happens.
    Thus, I'd be still interested in a source for the total mass of the SMEs...to get kind of an educated guess of how they may or not gel in with the 101 suspension.

The absolute mass of TA is not implemented in the data of vinyl engine, and it occurred to me, that for some decks with quite little stiffness in the suspension
    like the DM, the absolute mass would be an interesting info for those looking for suitable candidates for suspended decks.
    Either way, I will put mine on the scale and put down a comment in the re-view section there so it can be found if s.o. is interested.

Speaking of humble with opinion, my experience is for sure the smallest overall in here,,
    so have a little patience should I put out something breathtakingly stupid every once in a while..

@Oliver: I wrote a mail to Mike @ Moth Group, British Online bc of that tiny red plug& socket.
    Haven't received any answer yet but I'd like to have spares before I take an attempt on an outter rewire (Klotz) & should that fail and turn out permanently unavailable
    I'm interested in some low mass high quality small replacement, suggestions welcome..
    Last edited by torstoi; 09-02-2017 at 21:01.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by torstoi View Post
    Yes, well, I'm very confident I'm in for a very positive surprise with the 774.
    Besides, I simply LOVE it's looks, optically, to me the DM101 & Mission 774 look like made for another.
    So for now, should not anything unexpected happen, I'm set for 744 do not see myself deviding this team any soon.

No reason though to not let the SME 309, or IV remotely on the radar to try this should an opportunity open up to borrow one,
    if just to see what happens.
    Thus, I'd be still interested in a source for the total mass of the SMEs...to get kind of an educated guess of how they may or not gel in with the 101 suspension.

The absolute mass of TA is not implemented in the data of vinyl engine, and it occurred to me, that for some decks with quite little stiffness in the suspension
    like the DM, the absolute mass would be an interesting info for those looking for suitable candidates for suspended decks.
    Either way, I will put mine on the scale and put down a comment in the re-view section there so it can be found if s.o. is interested.

Speaking of humble with opinion, my experience is for sure the smallest overall in here,,
    so have a little patience should I put out something breathtakingly stupid every once in a while..

@Oliver: I wrote a mail to Mike @ Moth Group, British Online bc of that tiny red plug& socket.
    Haven't received any answer yet but I'd like to have spares before I take an attempt on an outter rewire (Klotz) & should that fail and turn out permanently unavailable
    I'm interested in some low mass high quality small replacement, suggestions welcome..
    I did a lot of digging a bought a few plugs that I thought would do the job but nothing worked. The pins a very thin which seemed to be the main issue.

I'd suggest using a metal vice as a heat sink. They are quite resistant to heat but if a vice is used then you'll be fine. I have no skill and soldered mine myself. Without ruining it. A second option would be to contact J7 at Audio Origami. You could perform a rewire and just send it to get the pin soldered on.

There are a few guys on here too that are wizards with a soldering iron so if you put a request out I'm sure someone will assist.

Bigman80 Guest

Could also run the tonearm cable all the way through ? RCA sockets on the back of the TT? Could solder them directly on to there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast