+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mission 774 on a Logic DM 101...advise, possible improvements for the arm ?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by torstoi View Post
    ...containing what ?
    Please don't say 774's..
    Yes. I'm afraid so.

Well. That's not absolutely true. One 774 is on one of my decks!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. I'm afraid so.
    I had 3 at one point, and 775 SM too......sold em all

I'm Torsten.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The 774 sounds very fine in standard form, but popular mods are an internal rewire and a new dual coax to the phono stage. If you try any of this, take great care with the mini plug. It comes apart (be gentle with it) for soldering work, but won't stand too much heat. Other changes can be damping the arm tube by covering with heat shrink sleeving or (and?) filling the tube with damping material. I also drilled my head block (headshell) through to use long bolts. Not everybody chooses to do this if they want to retain originality.
    Thanks for the pointout, Geoff.
    1)Have you ever seen or know any quality small connector to replace this heat-sensible plastic part ?
    I think I have seen a very small round DIN similar connector, diameter about 5mm on one short VdH cable that came with some old Clearaudio phono-stage I have bumping around..
    Or are most just going through a short pain in soldering & leave it well alone later..?

2) New Dual coax in the sort of, say Klotz MC5000 or the like ? What do you suggest.. ?

3) My Troika should fit ok-ish if the threads in the head are fine, no spot on perfect 0 point justage possible, perhaps..but not sure.
    Why did you drill your's...or why you choose to use long bolts instead ?

Are the bearings typically fine if not confronted with abnormous force...after that long time..?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    I'm going to have a serious slim down of record playing gear. Nine turntables and twelve tonearms (I think ) is a bit over the top.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Torsten.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    Hi Mark,,, nice to see you..
    ..oh my.. but, you have one 774 left at least..? or really sold all of them ?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by torstoi View Post
    Have you ever seen or know any quality small connector to replace this heat-sensible plastic part ?
    Stay with the original if you can Torsten, but I think Oliver (Bigman80) knows of a source for replacements. I expect he'll be along to advise soon.

I drilled my head block because the threads were a bit worn.

The arm bearings are normally fine and best left alone unless you suspect a problem.

Do not overtighten the screw on top of the arm clamp. The alloy (white metal) housing can crack. It just has to grip the tube, that's all.

You may need to add a small amount of mass at the head block with the Troika. As I did with my ZYX.

Like this:

Click on image for larger view.

Bigman80 Guest

There is a short supply at British audio IIRC. I paid £15 for the male part only !!! I'd get on now just in case you melt the original. In all honestly I sent mine to J7 to be rewired (spare wand) and now I don't have to worry about anything lol. To be honest my soldering skills are novice at best.

I did a thread on here demonstrating two rewires.

I'll try and find the link to the 4 pin

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

http://www.soundhifi.com/hadcock.html

Bigman80 Guest

I got mine here but looks like they're out !!!!!!!

Bigman80 Guest

"Contact Mike at the Moth Group, British Audio online, he should be able to advise/help you"

Mike did have them. He'd be your best bet now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast