+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mission 774 on a Logic DM 101...advise, possible improvements for the arm ?

I'm Ralph.

If you wish you can buy just the connectors and sort the rest out yourself. In fact I might just have some new ones tucked away from my Mission days. The thing with these connectors is the fifth pin to allow proper grounding of the arm tube.
    Ralph.

I'm Torsten.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I've emailed him. See what happens
    Thanks that's nice, I'd like some original as a backup to have the option,
    even should I use it now to revert it into original state at a later point.

I'm Torsten.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    Thank you, this is perhaps even not too bad an idea..
    The crucial point with the original as with my idea of using a standard arm insert double pin DIN as i most conventional arms, is the missing 5th pin.
    The rely on mass contact via the TA foot & that doesn't seem to work here,,,,or at least perhaps only less ideal.

I was set onto red colour bc of optics, but on the other hand a black one will just optically kind of diasspear on a black deck,
    and basicly it's not such an eyecandy to urgently need to highlight it.

From earth routing, technically perhaps the best call yet...thank you for the link !

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by torstoi View Post
    Thank you, this is perhaps even not too bad an idea..
    The crucial point with the original as with my idea of using a standard arm insert double pin DIN as i most conventional arms, is the missing 5th pin.
    The rely on mass contact via the TA foot & that doesn't seem to work here,,,,or at least perhaps only less ideal.

I was set onto red colour bc of optics, but on the other hand a black one will just optically kind of diasspear on a black deck,
    and basicly it's not such an eyecandy to urgently need to highlight it.

From earth routing, technically perhaps the best call yet...thank you for the link !
    I haven't had an issue with the earth so far and it is just soldered to the brass pin behind the mission badge. It then runs via the cartridge tags to the L- , no hum or buzz. Even at loud volume. Trust the original design !

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I haven't had an issue with the earth so far and it is just soldered to the brass pin behind the mission badge. It then runs via the cartridge tags to the L- , no hum or buzz. Even at loud volume. Trust the original design !

Removing the armtube ground wire from the L- and connecting it to the arm pillar ground gives a cleaner sound imo. Rega wired their arms something similar though they grounded the whole arm down the left signal screen. Simply giving a Rega its own separate ground wiring gives 90% of the performance realised by even a fancy rewire, imo of course.
    Ralph.

I'm Torsten.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    Removing the armtube ground wire from the L- and connecting it to the arm pillar ground gives a cleaner sound imo. Rega wired their arms something similar though they grounded the whole arm down the left signal screen. Simply giving a Rega its own separate ground wiring gives 90% of the performance realised by even a fancy rewire, imo of course.
    Thank you both Oliver and Ralph,
    I heard a similar thing regarding the screening effects, particularly from experiments with Regas & those nearly all stated the difference is quite astonishing and not subtle.
    So there might be room for improvement in that particular spot & I'm tempted to try that.
    That plus the obviously very fine cable from Oliver's rewire-review could well be the ticket with a bit of luck..
    As ever, it will be reversable, of course.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by torstoi View Post
    Thank you both Oliver and Ralph,
    I heard a similar thing regarding the screening effects, particularly from experiments with Regas & those nearly all stated the difference is quite astonishing and not subtle.
    So there might be room for improvement in that particular spot & I'm tempted to try that.
    That plus the obviously very fine cable from Oliver's rewire-review could well be the ticket with a bit of luck..
    As ever, it will be reversable, of course.
    I've sent you a DM in regards to the red 4 pin connector

I'm David.

The Mission 774 is a classic (the low mass one with silicon damping trough) .. if you are suffering from counterweight sag this can be rectified by applying silicon sealant carefully to the void it adheres to the sorbothane and the metal and does the job a treat .. I have repaired a few counterweights this way .. Performance doesn't degrade doing this and Mission themselves moved to a solid metal counterweight.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by uzzy View Post
    The Mission 774 is a classic (the low mass one with silicon damping trough) .. if you are suffering from counterweight sag this can be rectified by applying silicon sealant carefully to the void it adheres to the sorbothane and the metal and does the job a treat .. I have repaired a few counterweights this way .. Performance doesn't degrade doing this and Mission themselves moved to a solid metal counterweight.
    Agreed, I'd love to get my hands on the solid counterweight. No problems with my soborthane one but for the future I'd love to have one

I'm Shane.

You might find this interesting. It also shows my 774 fitted with the eBay plug and socket. In fact it has ten pins, not five, using two for each connection and halving contact resistance which is already low due to the gold plating. The five pin configuration also allowed me to wire fully balanced connections to my SUT, significantly reducing him.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...rweight-repair
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast