+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge advice please

I'm Kevin.

Why not get a head amp?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

blackstar Guest

I bought the Lentek MC head amp from Jerry recently and am running it through the MM stage of my OBH-15. It is better than the MC stage of the same phono amp, in my opinion. Seconded for a head amp/SUT.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Hi, yes, I was thinking on the same lines. Any suggestions? Do I get a MM/MC preamp or just a MC one. Ideally, I think, I would prefer one that is configurable and with a gain control. Budget is somewhat limited however!

Thanks,

Richard.
    Presuming your amp has a MM only input,

There is a Fidelity Research FRT-3 on eBay for not bad money. Having owned one I can highly recommend it

The Lentek needs fettling to be "good" apparently but I have no experience with this

Firebottle was selling a couple of MC head amps recently on his trade account for under £100 which I've heard and can highly recommend also

Other than that, if I had the money there is a Fidelity Research FRT-5 on here @£400ish I think. I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat.

Plenty of options and opinions on here too.

If your amp doesn't have a built in phono stage then usually anything Graham Slee is very well regarded.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Presuming your amp has a MM only input...
    The Cambridge CP2 is MM/MC.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

My experience is that the Lentek was designed a touch 'toppy' to go with the original softer-toned version of the Entre One cartridge they imported. I modified mine and it became quieter, but I was still plagued by battery life - a personal thing as the unit 'works' for ages on a set of batteries, but most of it at an estimated 80 - 90% and declining of full potential. Just my experiences of the units since the late 70's...

Depending on budget for an MC cartridge, the evergreen DL110 is safe-as-houses and works with most modern arms and phono stages. I love the BPS EVO3 but it's frail and I couldn't use one due to the skeletal nature. Over that, Hana are well liked by those who know them and available in low and 'higher' output versions. Ortofon's aren't the bargains they once were, but it's a huge range and none are bad.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    The Cambridge CP2 is MM/MC.
    It's a phono stage isn't it ? For amps without a phono stage ?

You'd need a MM stage on an amp to use a SUT or headamp

I'm Geoff.

The Dynavector is vastly overpriced these days for what it offers.

Take a look at the Goldring Eroica high output MC. It's seldom mentioned on forums and in magazines, but it's a nice sounding cartridge with great manufacturer support in this country (if you break it, they'll fix it). Prices are fair too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Dynavector is vastly overpriced these days for what it offers.

Take a look at the Goldring Eroica high output MC. It's seldom mentioned on forums and in magazines, but it's a nice sounding cartridge with great manufacturer support in this country (if you break it, they'll fix it). Prices are fair too.
    He bought the AT33PTG that was for sale on here. A fine choice.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It's a phono stage isn't it ? For amps without a phono stage ?

You'd need a MM stage on an amp to use a SUT or headamp.
    Sorry, I thought your comment was directed at the OP. The OP doesn't have an MM-only amp.

Bigman80 Guest

Ah, so a phono stage is required. Hmmm Graham Slee ??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast