+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting or maybe not

I'm Nodrog.

Default Interesting or maybe not

i've been selling off a load of music of late. Any CD or LP that I haven't played for the last year has gone. Everything is on the Mac in lossless anyway so not too much of a problem. There are still loads left that do get used regularly.

Had a guy come round this afternoon to buy a few and naturally, I assumed he was into music and I took him upstairs to play a couple of his purchases.

"Too much bass" he says!! "I couldn't stand that and the wife wouldn't put up with it anyway".

Quad 57s, 303 and passive pre so no tone controls. Quads=too much bass!!!!! I reckon they have much better bass than most just not so bloated but too much? Nah!

He has a goodlsh system he says, Mission speakers of some kind, didn't ask about the rest as he actually wasn't that interested, just after some bargain music I suspect. Most Missions I have listened to seem over bright so maybe it was the lack of harsh, biting treble that did it.

Different strokes for different folks then!

I'm Martin.

Too much bass from ESLs. Okay. Maybe he has his missions out of phase? otherwise, just plain odd. What was the music?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well that’s the first time I’ve heard that said of Quad 57s; usually it’s the exact opposite!

The most curious and enigmatic comment I have heard made of the 57s was by a female customer many years ago in KJ Leisuresound. On learning that I used Quad 57s, she exclaimed, “Oh – listening to them is like going to the dentist!” ( ?????)

I never did find out exactly what she meant by that. It didn’t put me off – I’ve been using the Quads for the last forty years, and I’m unlikely to change now. I’m well aware of their limitations and shortcomings, but what they do well they do exceptionally well, with few other speakers coming anyway near close.

When Peter Walker was asked if he thought Quad made a ‘good’ speaker, he replied “No we don’t, but then we don’t think anyone else does either.”
    Last edited by Barry; 07-02-2017 at 19:18. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Too much bass from ESLs. Okay. Maybe he has his missions out of phase? otherwise, just plain odd. What was the music?
    Graceland and Ron Carter. OK Carter is bass player but the recording is super clean and balanced beautifully.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well that’s the first time I’ve heard that said of Quad 57s; usually it’s the exact opposite!

The most curious and enigmatic comment I have head made of the 57s was by a female customer many years ago in KJ Leisuresound. On learning that I used Quad 57s, she exclaimed, “Oh – listening to them I like going to the dentist!” ( ?????)

I never did find out exactly what she meant by that. It didn’t put me off – I’ve been using the Quads for the last forty years, and I’m unlikely to change now. I’m well aware of their limitations and shortcomings, but what they do well they do exceptionally well, with few other speakers coming anyway near close.

When Peter Walker was asked if he thought the Quad made a ‘good’ speaker, he replied “No we don’t, but then we don’t think anyone else does either.”
    Probably an old valve radiogram. The mere fact that the Quads had any treble at all came as an aural surprise. My parents had one like that. And they accuse Quads of being dull!!!!

I'm Jez.

I've never found the Quad ESL's even slightly bass light!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I've never found the Quad ESL's even slightly bass light!
    I thought I was alone!!

I like it clean and tuneful above all and that's what the Quads are. However, to suggest they have too much is bizzare.

+ Reply to Thread