+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SEG Vs MDAC

I'm richard.

Default SEG Vs MDAC

All - views appreciated ....

My situation is that I already have an Audiolab MDAC (Older one) but that's in my main system.... its good enough for me but its staying where it is.

However, I have an office where I mostly work from home. It helps to have some music during the boring parts of the day when I'm not bothered on the phone or influx of 'must-do' messages !!.

So, I use this old kit > Arcam Alpha5, Marantz CD52Mk2 SE and a pair of Rogers JR149's. Its situational use is what you'd call 'near-field'. I'd like to add DAC to improve what comes out of the CD but to allow USB input from a laptop from which i intend to stream. Additionally I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600's so a decent headphone facility is also needed (I don't want to use my old mod'd Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 if I can help it... space an issue).

Now whilst i am aware of Stan's 30 usage option I'm wondering if any of you have experience of comparing the SEG's ability (at the price obviously) to the MDAC or maybe Rega DAC so I can get some expectations in place. Although I'm thinking the headphone capability should be good enough ?

I should point out that i've been looking recently at the forums/ebay and those DACS go for c.£120-60+ and I'm thinking I may as well buy new.... hence thinking about a SEG.

All views gratefully received of course - cheers ! Richard

I'm richard.

Blimey 46 views and no one's replied - boo hoo !

However, checked out the Capella thread below mine and that helps with the headphone question i think.

I'm Grant.

Not tried the seg but it gets a good name. Stan is a gent so if customer service is in the deal then its a great option. In a cheaper option i can mention is the smsl m6 minidac and headphone amp. its a decent price and very good. I use mine just for Headphones but it has rcas on back too for a main system that bypasses the headphone amp.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Richard I have owned both the Rega Dac and a Beresford Dac (can't remember the model!) and I would rate the Rega Dac very highly indeed

When I changed from the Rega Dac to the AN I did find an improvement but if I had to do without the AN I would easily go back to the Rega without reservation...

The Rega can be purchased from about £230+ on eBay and at that price I think it's a bargain

Hope that helps
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    Now whilst i am aware of Stan's 30 usage option I'm wondering if any of you have experience of comparing the SEG's ability (at the price obviously) to the MDAC or maybe Rega DAC so I can get some expectations in place. Although I'm thinking the headphone capability should be good enough ?
    Funnily enough, my DACs are quite popular for use in offices, and I am not sure why!
    As for comparisons, it is one thing using a DAC at home and commenting on it, and another thing using one in the office. Available desk space, headphone amp output level and ability to drive the intended headphones make all the difference. But don't be put off by my low price, quick delivery, and life long customer service. Those things can easily be amended to suit.

I'm Adam.

I have a SEG and that would get my vote.

Correct me if I am wrong but the Rega DAC previously mentioned doesn't have a headphone amp (which I think you want).

The M-DAC has a reputation as being on the clinical side, whilst the SEG is known as being quite analog like. Who knows if you get a SEG it may end up in your main system and the M-DAC could move to the office !
    Adam.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    All - views appreciated ....

My situation is that I already have an Audiolab MDAC (Older one) but that's in my main system.... its good enough for me but its staying where it is.

However, I have an office where I mostly work from home. It helps to have some music during the boring parts of the day when I'm not bothered on the phone or influx of 'must-do' messages !!.

So, I use this old kit > Arcam Alpha5, Marantz CD52Mk2 SE and a pair of Rogers JR149's. Its situational use is what you'd call 'near-field'. I'd like to add DAC to improve what comes out of the CD but to allow USB input from a laptop from which i intend to stream. Additionally I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600's so a decent headphone facility is also needed (I don't want to use my old mod'd Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 if I can help it... space an issue).

I should point out that i've been looking recently at the forums/ebay and those DACS go for c.£120-60+ and I'm thinking I may as well buy new.... hence thinking about a SEG.

All views gratefully received of course - cheers ! Richard
    I have an upgraded MDAC L2 'Toy' in my main system, and with sufficient USB isolation and regeneration it's very nice...but at a cost!

I also have a Caiman II in a secondary system, and it's great VFM, much better than its predecessors...If I were building a secondary system on a budget I'd go with the SEG, I'd suggest the Caiman II but that's not available anymore, and if the SEG outdoes it (I'm sure Stan will confirm this) then it must be very good...
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread