+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: FS/Swap: Audio note p1se signature

I'm Adrian.

It's also the collection only that can put folks off. Ive been willing to take a punt on a few things but not able to ship.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Steven.

Never found shipping a problem. Use Pharos, recommended by HiFi Dave. Recently sent Harbeth speakers from London to Chicago, got there 2 days later, and am sending big heavy valve amps to a buyer next week.

The problem is that most boxes have limited life, so the problem is usually the packaging, not the couriers.
    Wilson, Luxman, Innuos, Holo May, Puritan, Garrard

I'm Adam.

It's no good slagging the AoS off because the top end item for sale didn't have any takers..YET!
    Besides, I may be wrong, but I can't see any other posts by Sixty2 (Mark) other than selling/buying posts. No contributions to any other threads...
    Is that the ethos?

Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    He may have a point. I've listed quite a lot of fairly expensive kit on AoS, get lots of comments about how lovely it is, wish I had the money, etc. and never had a serious offer. So lots of time spent reading and replying to posts that don't get closer to a sale. All sold elsewhere, on other forums tend just to get a PM and that's it.

I'm much more into photography and buy (quite a lot) of Leica and sell (occasionally). Always do through authorised dealers, they sell on 15% commission, normally very quickly. Painless. The audio industry could do with something like that, although the problem seems to be that the market for expensive esoteric equipment like AN is very small indeed.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Steven.

Whether Mark posts to other threads all day or never is not the point.
    I was defending him after he was slagged off for going to eBay, which for some things is very good. What's more, I reckon more people read it.
    My experience of selling here is a matter of fact. It's not like I suggested other forums to go to, but I have sold a couple of things for satisfactory prices to Elite Audio, the used trading arm of Audio Emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    It's no good slagging the AoS off because the top end item for sale didn't have any takers..YET!
    Besides, I may be wrong, but I can't see any other posts by Sixty2 (Mark) other than selling/buying posts. No contributions to any other threads...
    Is that the ethos?

I'm Steven.

I would add that I have made most of my sales to overseas buyers. They are simple and straightforward. UK buyers often involve endless emails and questions, much more hard work.

Selling Quad overseas is really easy. Persuade the buyer to get to pay for a service and re-cap and Quad will send anywhere for about £20. They will also re-box for about £12.

I'm Martin.

If you are going to sell something for a couple of grand I think it is fair enough to answer a few questions about it. Just because some bloke in a foreign country doesn't ask questions doesn't make that the standard.

Given that we don't charge anything for membership and don't charge anything for posting sales advertisements it is more than a little churlish to be criticising the site if it doesn't sell. As someone upthread pointed out, this didn't sell primarily because it is offered as collection only. Surprisingly most people don't fancy doing what might easily be a 1000 mile round trip to pick up an amplifier.

This is also true of eBay sales. If you want to sell quickly on a collection only sale then you need to discount heavily to make the journey worthwhile.

This isn't rocket science, folks.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you are going to sell something for a couple of grand I think it is fair enough to answer a few questions about it. Just because some bloke in a foreign country doesn't ask questions doesn't make that the standard.

Given that we don't charge anything for membership and don't charge anything for posting sales advertisements it is more than a little churlish to be criticising the site if it doesn't sell. As someone upthread pointed out, this didn't sell primarily because it is offered as collection only. Surprisingly most people don't fancy doing what might easily be a 1000 mile round trip to pick up an amplifier.

This is also true of eBay sales. If you want to sell quickly on a collection only sale then you need to discount heavily to make the journey worthwhile.

This isn't rocket science, folks.
    I've not criticised AoS, only stated my experience selling here. Call me a liar if you want. I do think collection-only is seriously limiting the chance of a sale and totally unnecessary. Manufacturers send stuff all over the world. Couriers tend to be careful as their reputation depends on it. A 20kg box may be heavy for you, but for couriers it's not an issue. Anyone who sends uninsured deserves and problems they may have.

Hope Mark has better luck on eBay and he could do worse than putting a call into Elite Audio.

Selling into Europe is a much better option these days as the £ is so weak, so stuff here is seen as really cheap. I bought an MDAC+ when it came out for £650 new and sold it to a guy in Germany in January for £600. He said he would have bought it new from a UK dealer otherwise, much cheaper than in Germany.

I'm Neil.

Right place, right time, right buyer. At the end of the day it can be all about timing and making the item attractive to any potential buyers. I have sold a few things, a few things not, such is life.

My Ortofon cart had a nibble, but I was worried about selling something that might have not been ok, so withdrew it from sale till I checked it out. No nibbles since I relisted it but I am happy I can offer it knowing its 100% ok and fit to be sold. It will take as long as it takes.

In fairness guys we don't know what pressure there is to sell that Audio Note so the frustration might well be born out of desperation of need, rather than bad form. In saying that deleting most of the listing is childish and not on really.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    I've not criticised AoS, only stated my experience selling here. Call me a liar if you want. .
    I don't want and I am sure you are not lying. But the reason for no sale could be any one of a dozen, the site it is posted on isn't really one of them, unless it has a low footfall -which AoS doesn't. I've posted some good gear at silly low prices and had no takers, I've posted other kit that is sold within hours and if I'd had ten of them I could have sold all ten. I think the current record on here from posting to sale is under 2 minutes.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't want and I am sure you are not lying. But the reason for no sale could be any one of a dozen, the site it is posted on isn't really one of them, unless it has a low footfall -which AoS doesn't. I've posted some good gear at silly low prices and had no takers, I've posted other kit that is sold within hours and if I'd had ten of them I could have sold all ten. I think the current record on here from posting to sale is under 2 minutes.
    I've posted really good gear here at silly prices, one item I marked SOLD today as I sold it elsewhere, has taken a year to sell. I once mentioned I might have a 909 for sale and got about 5 PM's and sold it before even having to advertise it.

Problem is, it's valves which are difficult to sell and generally depreciate heavily, its bespoke and it's expensive. I've sold a pricey valve amp for more, but it took a while, and not here. I've bought via audio-markt.de, they have far more listings and coverage than any other site as there are listings from all over Europe, including from the UK. It also appears to me that the Brits are meaner than most when it comes to hifi, the Germans, French and Dutch are overall prepared to spend much more. My £4k valve amp, a guy came over from Paris with a trolley to buy it.

The valves I've just sold I originally bought on Audiogon in the USA and got shipped over. No hassles, except you have to pay the VAT and Duty. With the £/$ I'd advertise there as you can normally send stuff over without the buyer paying the Duty. I sent over Harbeth's to the USA that weighed 40kg, cost $160.

Just saying, if you really want to sell and get a good price, the world's your oyster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast