+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miyajima ETR-MONO Step Up Transformer

I'm Hugo.

Default Miyajima ETR-MONO Step Up Transformer

Following on from the rather sublime Miyajima ETR-KSW SUT, we now have the ETR-MONO SUT in stock and available for dem. Details are here https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product...p-transformer/

UK price is £1395 including VAT and delivery

It looks fiendishly complicated, but that's because Miyajima have designed it to be pretty much universal for any mono moving coil cartridge, but clearly it does work superbly with, say, a Miyajima Zero Mono. Please click on the link above where I have tried to simplify Miyajima's rather quaint instructions on how to set the various controls. It really is quite simple!

I'm Hugo.

I've been playing around with the ETR-MONO together with a Miyajima Mono Zero B cartridge and various other step-up devices; and I'm pleased to report that the Zero works better into the ETR-MONO than any other option. Miyajima's own ETR-KSW stereo SUT does work rather nicely but it has softer, slightly 'vintage' voicing that does not bring out the astonishingly clear character of the Zero. In isolation, nobody would be unhappy hearing a Zero through the ETR-KSW, but the ETR-MONO is simply better (and cheaper). Anyone who might be wondering why it's worth bothering with true mono would instantly understand on hearing a Miyajima Zero playing a decent mono record, particularly when the Zero is partnered by the ETR-MONO.

The controls on the ETR-MONO look complicated but are actually relatively easy to work out, very much assisted by a comparative loading/gain table that Dave Cawley of Timestep has produced after testing the ETR-MONO on the test bench. Dave and I both agree that the 'impedance' control is not helpful - it does act as a very effective tone control, progressively taming very harsh recordings, but is otherwise best left in the 'pass' position. For the Zero, with its coil impedance of 'around 6 ohms' I find it sounds best with the input coil switch set at Miyajima's recommended 120 ohms, and the output coil at 3000 ohms.

Although the ETR-MONO has been produced with Miyajima mono cartridges in mind, it's otherwise a very nicely designed, notably quiet and hum-free SUT that will pretty much work well with any mono MC cartridge.

If anyone is interested in trying out the ETR-MONO, then please call and I can arrange a home demonstration.

I'm Hugo.

I've been doing some more listening and experimentation with the Miyajima ETR-MONO SUT - have a read of my blog at https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/thought...-etr-mono-sut/

+ Reply to Thread