+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Arkless 640P MC/MM phono loan list

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftfield View Post
    Jez
    I'd be interested in demoing this for a few days if available? I'm not sure I'm getting the sound I want from my Graham Slee Era V Gold. Would the Arkless be ok with my AT150mlx as I have read it favours adjustable MM loading but have never tried a phone stage where this can be done.
    Okeydoke I'll have it sent on to you next Simon. PM me your details. It's fully compatible with ALL cartridges and can be set to ANY loading. This is done with loading plugs which need making up for whatever load is desired. This requires no more than to solder a resistor into a phono plug and repeat for the other plug but I can supply loading plugs to any spec.
    I would not expect loading changes to make huge differences.... but I would expect the Slee to get its botty spanked by the Arkless 640P!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Simon.

Thanks Jez. Pm sent with details.

blackstar Guest

On its way Simon. Enjoy yourself.

I'm Ed.

Currently using a Roksan Shiraz with the Roksan reference phono stage. Tried the new Vertere Phono-1 which I found to be a small improvement, but not worth changing for. Wondering about yours. I am based in Canada (110V). I do have a transformer that I use to run UK gear here.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by ekfc63 View Post
    Currently using a Roksan Shiraz with the Roksan reference phono stage. Tried the new Vertere Phono-1 which I found to be a small improvement, but not worth changing for. Wondering about yours. I am based in Canada (110V). I do have a transformer that I use to run UK gear here.
    If you can get a donor unit to me or buy one in the UK and have it sent to me then I can make you one and send it to Canada yes. Obviously no chance of hearing it before buying though!

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    If you can get a donor unit to me or buy one in the UK and have it sent to me then I can make you one and send it to Canada yes. Obviously no chance of hearing it before buying though!
    Sadly a deal killer for me. Hard to buy sight unseen (heard).

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by ekfc63 View Post
    Sadly a deal killer for me. Hard to buy sight unseen (heard).
    You thought I was going to arrange to send a £225 phono stage to Canada 5000 miles away for you to try it?

Actually around a third of all the people who bought one have indeed done so without hearing it and none have been less than delighted.

I'm Jez.

Looking forward to "leftfield"'s write up and in the meantime who else would like to try the Arkless 640P?

I'm Simon.

Default Experience with Arkless 640p

Arkless 640p review
    So I've had the Arkless 640p on demo for a few days and as agreed, below is a write up of my experience with it.
    Firstly, I don't have much experience with phono amps, I initially used the inbuilt stage from a previous Roksan Kandy integrated amp, then an old Creek phono stage, on to my current Graham Slee Era V gold and now the Arkless 640p demo unit.
    Each one has been a step up in performance from the previous, until now. It is difficult to say on the Arkless in 'better' than the Era but it certainly presents music in a different way. As other reviewers have pointed out, the Arkless seems to focus on midrange giving a clear start/finish to each note. It is not bass shy, but sounds a little lighter than the Era, which given my smallish room and PMC speakers gives a taught controlled bass. Perhaps it would be fair to say the Arkless is a little more focused while the Era is more "airy"??
    I have played Paul McCartney "Band on the run", Tears For Fears "Songs from the big chair", Guns n roses "Appetite for destruction", R.E.M. "Out of time" through a variety of other genres up to one of my most recent purchases, The 1975 "I like it when you sleep....." and the Arkless has had my foot tapping and me searching for the next record to play.
    Is the Arkless for me? Quite probably. It has made me realise that within my modest budgets there are a variety of products that reproduce their own version of recorded music. Which you prefer is down to system/room synergy, musical tastes and individual ear.
    I like digital music and am very happy with the sound I have on that format, however I enjoy the process of listening to a vinyl record. The Arkless has narrowed the gap between my two sources whilst feeding the vinyl addiction.
    Thank you Jez.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftfield View Post
    Arkless 640p review
    So I've had the Arkless 640p on demo for a few days and as agreed, below is a write up of my experience with it.
    Firstly, I don't have much experience with phono amps, I initially used the inbuilt stage from a previous Roksan Kandy integrated amp, then an old Creek phono stage, on to my current Graham Slee Era V gold and now the Arkless 640p demo unit.
    Each one has been a step up in performance from the previous, until now. It is difficult to say on the Arkless in 'better' than the Era but it certainly presents music in a different way. As other reviewers have pointed out, the Arkless seems to focus on midrange giving a clear start/finish to each note. It is not bass shy, but sounds a little lighter than the Era, which given my smallish room and PMC speakers gives a taught controlled bass. Perhaps it would be fair to say the Arkless is a little more focused while the Era is more "airy"??
    I have played Paul McCartney "Band on the run", Tears For Fears "Songs from the big chair", Guns n roses "Appetite for destruction", R.E.M. "Out of time" through a variety of other genres up to one of my most recent purchases, The 1975 "I like it when you sleep....." and the Arkless has had my foot tapping and me searching for the next record to play.
    Is the Arkless for me? Quite probably. It has made me realise that within my modest budgets there are a variety of products that reproduce their own version of recorded music. Which you prefer is down to system/room synergy, musical tastes and individual ear.
    I like digital music and am very happy with the sound I have on that format, however I enjoy the process of listening to a vinyl record. The Arkless has narrowed the gap between my two sources whilst feeding the vinyl addiction.
    Thank you Jez.
    A good but slightly disappointing review... but as the author has PM'ed me enquiring about purchasing an Arkless 640P I guess it must have impressed overall

I seem to recall previous reviews against the Slee ending up with "The Arkless is in another league" type comments but peoples ears and systems are all wild card factors I guess. I don't personally agree with the subjective comments and don't recall anyone else saying it focuses on the midrange (the most commonly repeated comment has been the very tight bass I would say. Check the reviews out yourselves!) but subjective is as subjective does n all that.... It is an unusually accurate and wideband phono stage and is flat from about 1Hz to 100KHz with RIAA accuracy of better than 0.1dB so there is nothing to comment on as far as tonal balance goes IMHO... It sounds like CD in its accurate tonality and frequency balance would be a good way of describing it. Obviously its accuracy will allow the balance of the cartridge used to be fully revealed!

As Simon, "Leftfield" has asked all sorts of questions about the Turbo version in his PM I will point out again that the Turbo and Turbo+ versions are no longer "official" Arkless products. I will make them if someone asks, but the reason I stopped, even though they were quite popular, is that personally I don't think the increase in sound quality over the standard version is enough to justify their existence. The cost of components and extra labour involved meant that they are a LOT more expensive but, IMHO, the increase in sound quality is slight... The law of diminishing returns n all that. There are old reviews out there if anyone is interested but there is no demo unit for the Turbo and I will not be making one.

So.... would anyone else like to be next to try this lovely phono stage?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast