+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkless 640P MC/MM phono loan list

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I can appreciate both views here. The problem is 'expecting' something from someone that hasn't been agreed in advance (outlined in black and white), and then when it doesn't happen, getting annoyed/frustrated about it... The fact is, neither party here is being unreasonable; the fallout is simply down to a lack of communication on both sides.

What would solve this in future, Jez, if you outline *exactly* the procedure required when opting to borrow and listen to one of your demo units, specifically in relation to how long people are allowed to keep them for. It's then up to the loanee to ensure that they do what is required, and if not, then they would be 100% at fault.

In that respect, perhaps it'd be an idea to outline the required procedure on a thread in your trade room, and I'll sticky it, so that in future folks know exactly where they stand

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Jez,

your bleedin obvious engineering Nous notwithstanding, theres more to it that than that?
    Take care of the folks that took a punt on you and you'll alway do ok....talking from experience Bud.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Bigman80 Guest

Smh. 🙄

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I can appreciate both views here. The problem is 'expecting' something from someone that hasn't been agreed in advance (outlined in black and white), and then when it doesn't happen, getting annoyed/frustrated about it... The fact is, neither party here is being unreasonable; the fallout is simply down to a lack of communication on both sides.

What would solve this in future, Jez, if you outline *exactly* the procedure required when opting to borrow and listen to one of your demo units, specifically in relation to how long people are allowed to keep them for. It's then up to the loanee to ensure that they do what is required, and if not, then they would be 100% at fault.

In that respect, perhaps it'd be an idea to outline the required procedure on a thread in your trade room, and I'll sticky it, so that in future folks know exactly where they stand

Marco.
    I have, ok belatedly.. outlined it earlier in the thread after this most unfortunate, and unintended by both I'm sure, situation arose today. It seems like a good idea though to make a thread in my trade room on this as you suggest Marco and I'll do so later on.

It's a tricky one as obviously my business model for gear I make works around people trying a demo unit to see if they want to buy one... the more people who get to try it the more may choose to buy one, but, there is only the one demo unit so I am kind of relying on people to realise this and make a wee bit of an effort to try it out and then get it sent on pronto to someone else With the higher end kit I would expect loans to be rather longer of course but please folks don't do something like go on holiday forgetting my demo unit is still in your system!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Jez,

your bleedin obvious engineering Nous notwithstanding, theres more to it that than that?
    Take care of the folks that took a punt on you and you'll alway do ok....talking from experience Bud.
    eh? I do. I just wanted the demo unit sending on as soon as he'd tried it for say 3 days or so rather than it be sitting around for a week or two NOT being tried by another potential customer

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    eh? I do. I just wanted the demo unit sending on as soon as he'd tried it for say 3 days or so rather than it be sitting around for a week or two NOT being tried by another potential customer
    I think its great that Jez has a 'try before you buy policy' as do other small manufacturers. I have borrowed a similar unit from a guy who posts on the PFM forum, and he sets out that you have the unit for 2 weeks then post it on. I'm not sure whether you have stipulated such a period of loan, but it would be helpful, I suggest one week. Look forward to receiving it myself.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I think its great that Jez has a 'try before you buy policy' as do other small manufacturers. I have borrowed a similar unit from a guy who posts on the PFM forum, and he sets out that you have the unit for 2 weeks then post it on. I'm not sure whether you have stipulated such a period of loan, but it would be helpful, I suggest one week. Look forward to receiving it myself.
    Thanks Mike. I presume you have seen my PM earlier today? I await your details and you are next. GARY. I presume you will see this Gary "Stryder5" and make your own arrangements with Mike to post the loan unit on. Please let me know here that you have posted it on if you still don't wish to PM me...

Mike. when I was selling loads of these on pfm the rule was try for 3 days then post on. I can stretch to a week if anyone really needs to... 2 weeks is fine for the high end gear but this is a budget unit...

Anyone else wanting to add their name to the list? I'll ask again after another review as that's when all the interest tends to happen but get yer names down now "to avoid disappointment"... as sales type people apparently say

I'm Gary.

Any more findings/reviews/impressions to be posted on this unit?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    Any more findings/reviews/impressions to be posted on this unit?
    I am the latest to trial Jez's Arkless phono stage, I had it about 4 days, which Jez was happy with, and I thank him for that. I sent it on today to Nickfa, 1st class recorded. I'm afraid I am not too familiar with hifi jargon so my review might sound like a child has written it! Also, I haven't tried any other phono stages apart from Naim, and the odd integrated amp with built in phono stage. What I will say is its been out of my system a few hours and I'm missing it! In my case that is partly due to the fact that it gave my Denon DL 110 a boost in gain over the stock Naim 322 MM boards in my Naim pre amp - the Nac 72, which I use with Nap 140/Teddycap. Current TT is stock Technics 1210 with Jelco 750D, someone might be able to tell me whether the DL 110 is a suitable match for the Jelco? I also had on loan the Ryan sound lab 321/729 boards to replace the Nac 72's, don't know how popular old Naim stuff is on this site, but they like it over on PFM (well many seem to be moving onto other things now), but the RSL boards are a superb step up for the 72, I already had them for 2 weeks, and I'm well aware of the difference adding the Arkless made. With the Arkless in place, music had a fair bit more life, and body. I have tried quite a few different components, such as amps, over the past 2 years, so when something reveals some previously hidden detail in music I know its a worth while upgrade, the Arkless did this. Well, I liked it , and will be buying one as soon some money becomes available, thankyou Jez.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I am the latest to trial Jez's Arkless phono stage, I had it about 4 days, which Jez was happy with, and I thank him for that. I sent it on today to Nickfa, 1st class recorded. I'm afraid I am not too familiar with hifi jargon so my review might sound like a child has written it! Also, I haven't tried any other phono stages apart from Naim, and the odd integrated amp with built in phono stage. What I will say is its been out of my system a few hours and I'm missing it! In my case that is partly due to the fact that it gave my Denon DL 110 a boost in gain over the stock Naim 322 MM boards in my Naim pre amp - the Nac 72, which I use with Nap 140/Teddycap. Current TT is stock Technics 1210 with Jelco 750D, someone might be able to tell me whether the DL 110 is a suitable match for the Jelco? I also had on loan the Ryan sound lab 321/729 boards to replace the Nac 72's, don't know how popular old Naim stuff is on this site, but they like it over on PFM (well many seem to be moving onto other things now), but the RSL boards are a superb step up for the 72, I already had them for 2 weeks, and I'm well aware of the difference adding the Arkless made. With the Arkless in place, music had a fair bit more life, and body. I have tried quite a few different components, such as amps, over the past 2 years, so when something reveals some previously hidden detail in music I know its a worth while upgrade, the Arkless did this. Well, I liked it , and will be buying one as soon some money becomes available, thankyou Jez.
    Thanks for the review Mike. Glad you like it... and even more so that you intend to buy one I presume you will be aware that you need a donor 640P/651P (which does not need to be working) so this will add about £50 to the £225 cost of turning it into an Arkless 640P.

If anyone else would like to try it just add your name below and you will go on the waiting list.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast