+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkless 640P MC/MM phono loan list

I'm Nick.

Just been lucky enough to have this phono stage in my possession for a few days,
    Cheers Jez

Now I'm no expert in this so i won't try to use any fancy lingo/terminology
    Plus my kit is quite modest and i don't have any reference points with phono stages apart from the base unit this is modded from.

Wow, It's like a blanket has been lifted, everything is bigger, better and ballsier than before. The soundstage is huge and with great depth, vinyl I've been listening to for thirty forty years all sound like the greatest remasters ever(Christ i sound like a giddy)

To sum up this very short review (sorry shit with words) its been great fun listening to this for a the last few days and my base unit will be off
    To Jez in next couple of weeks for him to work his magic.

Cheers
    Nick.

I'm Jez.

Thanks for the write up Nick and I'll wait to hear from you re modding your own unit

Now then, are there any more AOS members who would like to try this giant slaying phono stage? Don't be shy.... Add your name below...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm jamie.

im back in the frame now jez please
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    im back in the frame now jez please
    OK no problemo... please PM me to remind me of your details and I'll forward them to Nick.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm jamie.

done
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Jez.

I presume "Bonky" no longer wishes to try the demo unit? I had no reply from a PM asking for his address...

I'm jamie.

well ive had some time now with the unit and here's my thoughts.
    its good,very good! ive only got the phono satge in my nakamichi pre amp to compare it too and its not a million miles away.it loses out in the top end clarity to the nak which sounds more detailed and smoother,the 640p sounded slighty grainy in this area (to me).
    i also had a lot of hum issues with the 640p.
    im not very good at describing what i hear,so apologies for a brief review, i wanted to take it to my mate ian's who is better at it than me but his deck is out of commission at the moment.

for those on the look out for a phono stage id recommend this unit for its value for money.
    thanks for the loan jez,its on its way to the next on the list
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    well ive had some time now with the unit and here's my thoughts.
    its good,very good! ive only got the phono satge in my nakamichi pre amp to compare it too and its not a million miles away.it loses out in the top end clarity to the nak which sounds more detailed and smoother,the 640p sounded slighty grainy in this area (to me).
    i also had a lot of hum issues with the 640p.
    im not very good at describing what i hear,so apologies for a brief review, i wanted to take it to my mate ian's who is better at it than me but his deck is out of commission at the moment.

for those on the look out for a phono stage id recommend this unit for its value for money.
    thanks for the loan jez,its on its way to the next on the list
    There should be absolutely zero hum present. It's dead quite. I can only imagine that it's been positioned on another unit with a transformer right below it or some such.... Or maybe an arm earthing issue...
    Other than that well as the phono board in Jamie's Nak is a Nelson Pass Threshold board (the "real thing" rather than built under licence by Nak) and would, if for sale today as a stand alone phono stage, be around £1700, I reckon that's a pretty good review! Cheers Jamie and ta for posting it on

I'm Jez.

Would anyone else like to try the best budget phono stage around? Just add your name underneath or PM me

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    There should be absolutely zero hum present. It's dead quite. I can only imagine that it's been positioned on another unit with a transformer right below it or some such.... Or maybe an arm earthing issue...
    Other than that well as the phono board in Jamie's Nak is a Nelson Pass Threshold board (the "real thing" rather than built under licence by Nak) and would, if for sale today as a stand alone phono stage, be around £1700, I reckon that's a pretty good review! Cheers Jamie and ta for posting it on
    Was mine that Nak.. very decent stage it was too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast