+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hadcock and Thorens table advice

I'm Mark.

Default Hadcock and Thorens table advice

Long time lover of Music and Hi-FI here! Just recently found your forum. Currently due my recent divorce, I am reassembling a stereo system , and my purchase of a Hadcock GH228 arm that I'm fitting to a newly modified Thorens TD165 table brought me to this forum. I'm rewiring it with VDH mcs150 M wire, and adding a XTC counterweight as well. Currently building a new plinth from rosewood, which will be partially filled with lead and sand. I built my first Thorens table about 10 years ago, using Bubinga and similar lead and sand process. Anyway any tips on the Hadcock are appreciated, I have tried to read as much as possible about this arm. My last table had a wonderful Magnepan Unitrac I on it . Currently I have a Counterpoint SA-3 pre, Musical Designs DM75 amp, Mission 737 speakers, Scott 350D Tuner, Sony DVP s7700 being used as a CD player.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

We have several Hadcock 228 users here Mark. I'm sure they will be willing to offer you any advice you may want.

Let us know how you get on with the project.
    Barry

I'm Mark.

Thanks so much for your prompt response! I'll eagerly anticipate other input from members here as well!

Mark
    Custom Thorens TD165 with Hadcock GH228, Grado Reference Platinum Cart.
    Sony DVP S-7700 CD player
    Counterpoint SA3.1 Pre Amp
    Quicksilver Silver 90 mono amplifiers
    Acoustat 1+1 speakers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Come on Guys, is there no-one who can help out Mark with advice on the Hadcock GH228 arm?
    Barry

I'm Mark.

Barry,

Thanks for the response! I have tried to read as much as I can about the Hadcock, but since this arm is much more common in the UK , I thought it wise to seek advice from people who have had much more experience and knowledge about this arm. I first was exposed to unipivot arms in the late '70s. And I loved my magnepan unitrac I as it was fitted to my Modified Thorens TD160 table. I'm about to begin to rewire my Hadcock with Van den Hull Mcs150 M , and begin fitment to my table. I'm going to build a interface box to fit on the table to allow interconnects to be used as well.

Mark
    Acoustat 1+1 speakers

I'm Charlie.

Hi Mark,

PM me and I'll give you some advice. I've had a vintage Hadcock 228 since 1979. It has been on a number of TTs over the years incl a TD160.

Charlie

I'm Mark.

Thanks Charlie! Will do!!

Mark
    Acoustat 1+1 speakers

I'm Charlie.

Mark,

I have had a vintage 70s Hadcock 228 since the late 70s. It was rewired by Johnnie at Audio Origami about 3 years ago. Apart form that, it is a stock unmodified tonearm. I have used a number of cartridges over the years incl several Deccas, an Ortofon MC10 Super, Supex SD900E, Dynavector DV23R, Ortofon SL15EII and an Allaerts MC1B. All of them have worked very well in it.

I know we have exchanged rather cursory PMs, but what else would you like to know - tips on set up, source of silicone for the damping trough, cartridge matching?

Best wishes,

Charlie

+ Reply to Thread