+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings one and all !

I'm Simon.

Default Greetings one and all !

Hi All, Very happy to be here.

Been into this for about 17 years and system has gone through various incarnations.
    Current System is LP12/ARO/Lingo 1/ DV17D3/Tom Evans Microgroove Plus/
    Avondale Grad 1 and MB1 Avondale Monoblocks/ Shahinian Arcs

Sometimes i switch to Nait 2 with Stirling LS3/5a V2 speakers using the Lp12 which sounds very lovely
    and involving for such a simple set up.

Been happy with the same setup for at least 10 years but just lately been curious about what a Technics 1210
    modded deck could do and how it might give the LP12 a run for its money. That search has led me here !

Would love to hear a Technics with Aro if anyone has done it ?? Also interested in listening to Harbeths
    and any experience any of you fellas have with moving that route from the Shahinians would be very welcome.

Music wise its all over the place. Used to listen to a lot of dance music,Chicago/Detroit Deep house, Classic Dub and Roots
    like Tubby Observer, Prince far i, Culture etc.
    Now all over the place from Folk to Funk but generally percussive with female vocals.

That'll do for now. Thanks for having me.

Si

I'm Grant.

Hi Simon, welcome to AoS. Hope you enjoy it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by SiT4 View Post
    Hi All, Very happy to be here.

Been into this for about 17 years and system has gone through various incarnations.
    Current System is LP12/ARO/Lingo 1/ DV17D3/Tom Evans Microgroove Plus/
    Avondale Grad 1 and MB1 Avondale Monoblocks/ Shahinian Arcs

Sometimes i switch to Nait 2 with Stirling LS3/5a V2 speakers using the Lp12 which sounds very lovely
    and involving for such a simple set up.

Been happy with the same setup for at least 10 years but just lately been curious about what a Technics 1210
    modded deck could do and how it might give the LP12 a run for its money. That search has led me here !

Would love to hear a Technics with Aro if anyone has done it ?? Also interested in listening to Harbeths
    and any experience any of you fellas have with moving that route from the Shahinians would be very welcome.

Music wise its all over the place. Used to listen to a lot of dance music,Chicago/Detroit Deep house, Classic Dub and Roots
    like Tubby Observer, Prince far i, Culture etc.
    Now all over the place from Folk to Funk but generally percussive with female vocals.

That'll do for now. Thanks for having me.

Si
    Greetings Simon, Nice to have you on board.
    Being the proud owner of a well modded SL1210 I'll say this, you are most definitely in the right place.
    I've had my MK5g from new.
    The SL12XX is a cool deck in stock form. Pluses are, in my opinion of course, looks good, bullet proof solid build (Have you ever lifted one ?, solid and heavy)
    Easy to use - on the fly vta is a peach.
    Soundwise - In stock form ok but looking back it's tonal presentation is not what I'd call accurate amongst other things.
    Modded, well that for me is where the magic happens. You are building on the foundation of a fabulous direct drive quartz locked system that drives music along with perfect pitch and musicality.
    Stock arm and platter are made to a price point.
    The arm will do even the better mm's justice. Mine from stock sounded lovely with the 2M Black on board.
    That said the arm can be bettered quite easily for not daft money, which will do a decent and fairly reasonably priced moving coil more justice than the stock arm will.
    The stock platter - rings like a bell. Some folk do things with it (extra damping etc to address this) The Mike New ETP platter in my experience (not cheap) is an absolutely genuine and excellent upgrade.
    The original bearing again is built to a price point - does it's job but the Mike New bearing and base plate is a different ball game, makes the original bearing look and feel like a toy.
    There are a number of external power supplies as well as armboard upgrades.
    It can cost but it doesnt have to. Do as much as you choose, one upgrade (or two) at a time has been my approach and my Techie will remain my last and only deck.
    Modded it is a whole different deck to when I had it stock, aesthetically but most importantly sonically to a far greater extent
    Pop into Techiepedia (in Analogue Art) where you'll find loads of info and guidance regarding modding the SL12XX)
    More than enough Techie fans here happy to offer advise so post away

Good to have another reggae fan onboard - Have some Culture vibes on me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEMH_o5U9Lc

All the best
    Rob

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Simon.

You have a very decent system as it is, however your interest in the Technics TT could result in a long road of upgrades and fettling; most of the Tecnics decks discussed here are not stock items.

Anyway enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

I'm Josie.

Welcome to AOS, Simon.

Hope you find useful
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Ian.

Hi Simon and welcome.
    I made the move from an LP12 to direct drive recently, I loved the sounds that came from the old fruit box but to take it any further down the upgrade route was just too much money. I bought the Toshiba SR-370 with an SME 3009 S2 and fitted my 2m Black and I struggle to find fault with it. I would think a Techie with the Naim Aro would be pretty special but there are proper Techie experts here to advise.
    I've had my Harbeth Compact 7s for about 25 years now and despite trying other speakers I go back to the Harbeths. They just give the music without adding or removing anything. I see you are in Sussex, if you get around this way you are welcome to have a listen.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Geoff.

Hello Simon. Welcome to AOS.

You have some interesting choices in decent equipment. It's nice to be able to change about now and then, Many of us here do that.

A Techie with an ARO is not a combination I've heard of being used. Interesting idea. Bet somebody has tried it somewhere though.

There is a none too well known alternative direct drive turntable that will definitely give a Linn a run for it's money. The Toshiba SR-370. They have gained popularity here recently.

Anyway. Take a look around the site and feel free to join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Ha. I see Ian has just mentioned the SR-370 too. I must have been typing at the time. Great minds, as they say.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast