+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review of the jez arkless phono stage

I'm peter.

Default Review of a jez arkless phono stage

So here it is the review of a Jez Arkless phono stage
    This all started in January having acquired a new deck I had a stock Cambridge audio 651p which in my honest opinion wasn't cutting the mustard with a mid range tt and so the hunt was on for a decent phono stage tbh I wasn't expecting a lot with a budget of £300 I posted a thread for advice and was directed towards Jez Arkless another forum member and after doing a little bit research went with Jez and gave him the donor unit to have a total rebuild. After a brief discussion with Jez and having to own up to being a vinyl addict yes we all have our addictions to deal with haa haa he kindly loaned me the demo unit to keep me sane. A wee while later and my new phono stage was built and ready for collection. Having hurriedly plugged it all in I wasn't expecting what I heard this was truly exceptional my records have never sounded as good as this and tbh they shouldn't for £225 plus the price of the donor unit. This does everything right with very very distinct mid range crystal clear in fact with detail aplenty nothing and I mean nothing like the stock Cambridge 651p and moving on to timbre superb leading edges uniform and correct lower bass registers not overwhelming at all to my ears perfectly aligned loads of PRAT even older worn vinyl has lots of life I could go on but there's really no need it's AWESOME and anyone wanting a phono stage with a touch of class for not mega bucks the search is over. In the 40 or so years I have been listening to music I could count on one hand the real gems I have come across make that one more an outstanding piece of hifi nirvana. Thanks to all the aos members who pointed me in the right direction and last but certainly not least Mr Jez Arkless thank you for allowing people like me the opportunity to hear music at its best.
    Now I need to go feed an addiction YES
    Last edited by clarkey555; 07-02-2017 at 08:32.
    HEGEL H100 integrated amp
    REGA rp6/exact cart
    REGA Apollo r CD
    NEAT ELITE SE loudspeakers
    BERESFORD bushmaster mk2 dac
    Powered by a DEBEN tracer battery
    Mc5000 klotz ms audio cables(cheers Brian).
    REGA couple 2 ics
    JEZ ARKLESS phono stage
    RUSS ANDREWS powermax mains cables
    ISOTEK POLARIS mains block
    ATLAS Speaker cables
    CREEK OBH21 SE head amp
    BRIANS silver hybrid ics

I'm Jez.

The cheques in the post Pete

This is A Arkless phono stage rather than the Arkless phono stage BTW. This is of course the Arkless 640P, my budget option.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey555 View Post
    So here it is the review of the Jez Arkless phono stage
    This all started in January having acquired a new deck I had a stock Cambridge audio 651p which in my honest opinion wasn't cutting the mustard with a mid range tt and so the hunt was on for a decent phono stage tbh I wasn't expecting a lot with a budget of £300 I posted a thread for advice and was directed towards Jez Arkless another forum member and after doing a little bit research went with Jez and gave him the donor unit to have a total rebuild. After a brief discussion with Jez and having to own up to being a vinyl addict yes we all have our addictions to deal with haa haa he kindly loaned me the demo unit to keep me sane. A wee while later and my new phono stage was built and ready for collection. Having hurriedly plugged it all in I wasn't expecting what I heard this was truly exceptional my records have never sounded as good as this and tbh they shouldn't for £225 plus the price of the donor unit. This does everything right with very very distinct mid range crystal clear in fact with detail aplenty nothing and I mean nothing like the stock Cambridge 651p and moving on to timbre superb leading edges uniform and correct lower bass registers not overwhelming at all to my ears perfectly aligned loads of PRAT even older worn vinyl has lots of life I could go on but there's really no need it's AWESOME and anyone wanting a phono stage with a touch of class for not mega bucks the search is over. In the 40 or so years I have been listening to music I could count on one hand the real gems I have come across make that one more an outstanding piece of hifi nirvana. Thanks to all the aos members who pointed me in the right direction and last but certainly not least Mr Jez Arkless thank you for allowing people like me the opportunity to hear music at its best.
    Now I need to go feed an addiction YES
    Thanks for the review and good on Jez for producing what is clearly a quality item and the budget option at that

I'm Jez.

The demo unit is immediately available for loan to AOS members
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    The cheques in the post Pete

This is A Arkless phono stage rather than the Arkless phono stage BTW. This is of course the Arkless 640P, my budget option.
    Aye nee worries Jez make it a big one haa haa
    I tell it like it is SUPERB
    HEGEL H100 integrated amp
    REGA rp6/exact cart
    REGA Apollo r CD
    NEAT ELITE SE loudspeakers
    BERESFORD bushmaster mk2 dac